Solid-state drives price reduction?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Marsil, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Marsil macrumors member

Looks like the price for solid-state upgrades have declined at the apple store.... or is it just my memory?

2. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

Yeah your right, people who ordered the new 17" MBP with the SSD have received refunds of $100!

3. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hmmm, just been looking through the configuration options on the MBP and it seems that the higher priced model you get, the cheaper the SSD becomes...

NStocks

4. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

great news, but you can bet prices for SSD will drop even more..

5. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I was reading on some tech site the other day that the Intel SSDs have dropped in price a bit now, I think it was just under $400 for the 80Gb drive and there's some new SSDs coming from another brand about midway through the year that are under $300 for a 128Gb model but I can't find the link.

I wish I'd bookmarked it now.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Prices are dropping quite a bit, every 6 months or so.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If USB thumb drive prices vs. capacity are any indication, we will see significant capacity increase with price decrease over the next five years.

8. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Random question on SSD: Can you switch a Mac to SSD even if that wasn't your original hardware? If so, essentially MacBooks now can be possibly upgraded significantly in a few years when they would be starting to slide to the bottom of the performance totem pole.

9. billp1 macrumors newbie

Why would SSD drives be so expensive other that they are a newer technology?

10. Jess.H macrumors member

Jess.H

Agreed, I think SSD will continue to slide in price as adoption increases.

11. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Yes, just imagine it as any other harddrive. Same hookups, same form factor.

12. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I may have to pick up a SSD for my computer. It needs a bigger hard drive.

Do they make external SSD's?

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Since they have PATA or SATA interfaces, I would think that you could put one in the proper external enclosure.

14. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

However an SSD would be useless as an external hard drive as far as speed goes. Only benefit I could see is that it is more reliable?

15. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Esata? or even fw800 are both quick, won't max the SSD out, but they can try.

16. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Ya they can try, but the person who said that they wanted an SSD in an external only has a MacBook... Complete waste if you ask me.

17. MeatPie macrumors newbie

Putting a SSD into an external drive enclosure seems kind of pointless to me, the benefits are greatly reduced, and the price is sky high compared to traditional HDs, plus storage is almost minimal. Many HDs offer long warranties and are quite reliable...

18. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I was only curious about if they made external SSD's....I don't want one for an external drive. I already have a 1TB external...don't need any more external drives. I just hadn't seen any external SSD's anywhere and wondered if they were even made.

I do plan on replacing my MacBook's internal HD with an SSD eventually.

19. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

By summer, they'll be affordable in a manner of speaking...

I found the details!

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom/PressReleases/PressRelease.aspx?ID=4478

If they either match or better the performance of the current Intel X25-M SSDs which also use MLC NAND flash memory then it's looking good because this review of the Intel SSDs really shows what a difference an SSD would make:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/Intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=8

20. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Ya that's exactly what I was thinking.

However, after thinking about it, having a 2.5" external SSD would would be nice for a light and reliable portable drive... you don't have to worry about messing up the platters. Kinda pricey but if you got the money, why not? :D

21. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I doubt they will with 200/140 read/write.

OCZ Summit with 210/172 read/write is pretty close, but it's still an engineering sample and still far off.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=666

22. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It could force down the prices of the Intel drives and there's nothing to say Intel won't have larger drives by summer and even lower prices but given how well the Intel X25-M performs, it's surprising the see the specs from the pdf data sheet on the intel site:

http://download.intel.com/design/flash/nand/mainstream/mainstream-sata-ssd-datasheet.pdf

23. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

All these read and write speeds are fine, but unless you have a SATA-II controler in your computer it doesn't matter... I don't know about the new macbooks, but my only got a SATA-I controler, which means that hd-bandwidth maxes out a 150...

I do plan to buy a SSD later this year when the 250 gb ones comes out...

24. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

The new/er ones are SATA2.