solid state drives

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by squamtch, Mar 23, 2009.

1. squamtch macrumors newbie

After just 3 measly years of bliss with my iBook G4, the HD has crapped out & I'm looking into buying a new macbook or a refurb possibly (need Leopard & old iBook not able to handle it even w/ HD replaced).

Does anyone know about SSD's? Are they coming soon? Are they really better than HDD? Longer lifetime one hopes, or is that too much to ask?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes they are available for you iBook, but unfortunately they are also very pricey, so not a viable choice. Would you spend $300 on a computer that's only worth that much if not less?

It would be better to save up for a new computer than upgrading an older machine.

3. squamtch thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I'm buying a new computer since I can't run quickbooks pro on tiger on my iBook G4 anyway. I'm going to give the old one to my mom once I replace the HD (not with an SSD but with a std decent HD).

What I'm wondering about is getting a new alum macbook - not an air - with SSD rather than HDD. I guess I'm hoping that the drive will last longer than 3 years since I could get a PC-type laptop for a third the price and it would last 3 years too! I thought macs lasted longer but my first experience has been disappointing in that respect. Right after my applecare expired, so did my computer. Thankfully I'd backed it up or I'd really be p.o.'d right now.

4. raremage macrumors 6502a

I think one problem is there's not really enough of a performance record with SSDs to say with confidence what sort of lifespan they will realistically have. Some speculate they will last longer than a standard HDD because of the lack of moving parts; others argue that the volatile nature of the storage could lead to failure. There were several complaints of SSD failures when the MBAs first hit the market, but that seems to have settled down a bit.

Until they have a longer track record I think you're guessing that they will have a significant longevity. It seems like a fairly safe bet, but the truth is, no one can say for sure beyond simulated usage and failure metrics. For example, in one of their white papers Toshiba quotes an "acceptable 3 to 5 year expected lifespan." Is that acceptable? Is that accurate? Or is it all just a SWAG at this point?

5. squamtch thread starter macrumors newbie

so it's more or less a $600 gamble I guess, not factoring in how much a non-mac notebook would compare price-wise ('bout twice that less). I really loved my iBook & don't want to go back to relying on crappy & restrictive MS BS, etc.

I know a mac is worth the extra cost even if it lives the same length of life as a pc-type but in these econ times, maybe it's not the best financial decision, the end being the same (the middle of course being much happier while it lasts - but, hey, the beginning = plunking down a lot of dough, weighs in HEAVY).

6. zorahk macrumors 6502

At this point the question is if spending the extra money for the performance is viable to you. Sure, they may be much faster, but their price is also much higher. I think by the end of the year SSD prices may be much lower but that remains to be seen.

7. LED macrumors member

8. squamtch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the great replies. Very helpful. Don't think I will invest in an SSD just yet. From what I've learned here and elsewhere, prices are dropping and issues are still being resolved. Too bad, though. Seems like whenever I'm ready to by a new computer the industry is on the brink of a yet another revolutionizing technology but that tech isn't really ready yet. Takes some of the satisfaction out of the whole transaction.

9. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

yea really expensive those SSD cant wait till they go down in price

10. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Well, there is a simple solution to your problem: wait and upgrade the drive yourself when they become cheaper. That way, you get newer drives (presumably more reliable), more storage space, and for less money (especially when you figure in how much extra getting your SSD from :apple: will cost you).

And I also think that you are using a bit of faulty logic here. You are more or less generalizing the fact that your HDD failed after 3 years, and you are making it seem like all HDD's fail after that long. It sounds like you got a bad drive, man.

Yes, Mac's are probably worth the money. But if you can't justify the $1000+ for a new unibody one, then get a PC. They all use more or less the same components, and are just as prone to early failure as your dearly beloved iBook...