Solid State Hybrid Drive upgrade in a Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Rami98, May 15, 2012.

1. Rami98 macrumors member

I read about the solid state hybrid drive online and found that it offers a very good value between hdd and sad. I am really starting to dislike the 128gb SSD on my 13 inch 2011 MBA and I refuse to spend 340 dollars to upgrade to a 256GB SSD. My question is would a Solid State Hybrid Drive work in my MBA? It is 99 dollars from amazon for a 500gb one. Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-Solid-Hybrid-ST95005620AS/dp/B003NSBF32

I think it would be a great idea to put this in, because I have a hard time managing my space with about 40GB left overall on a dual booting windows 7/ lion setup on my MBA. Anyone know if this SSHD will work?

2. rockbird macrumors member

256g SSD costs about $220 these days

3. Rami98 thread starter macrumors member

Could you please provide a link to one that costs 220? because I can't seem to find one on reputable websites (new egg, micro center, tiger direct, etc...)
    That would be very helpful,
    Thanks

4. simsaladimbamba

Since you can't put any 2.5" SSD or HDD or Hybrid drive into the 2011 MBA, your are limited to these.

5. jjfcpa macrumors member

This may be out of your price range, but when it came to upgrading my MBA SSD, I went to OWC (Other World Computing) www.macsales.com and bought their 480gig 6G Mecury Aura Pro Express. Outstanding speed and they stand behind their products. Yes, you might pay a little more, but they offer support and service to back up their extra cost.

Followed their video to install and it worked just like they said.

Here's a link to their SSD's for the MBA.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Why can't you?
    Not being smart or flippant.... I really don't know the answer and I'm curious.
    Thanks

7. simsaladimbamba

There is no space, a 2.5" is 9.5 mm high, the MacBook Air is 3 to 17 mm high, including the display. There is just no room for it, as Apple switched to flash storage on blades, look at the link posted in posts #4 and #5.
    Even the previous MBA (2008 to 2009, before the 2010 design change) could only hold 1.8" HDDs and SSDs, the size the iPod Classic uses to store its music on.

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MacBook Air uses special drives that only a few select manufacturers make.

I would stay away from the Toshiba Blade SSDs; they are slow and slow.

Really the only option to consider is the OWC Mercury Aura 6G; unfortunately, these are not cheap.

10. PeterJP macrumors regular

Not so weird. Apple pressured them out of selling their blade SSDs as third party upgrades. Apple wants you to buy those upgrades when you buy your Air. It's hurting their margins if you can buy the cheapest Air, then upgrade the SSD for less than Apple charges for that upgrade. OWC isn't a provider to Apple so they can't be put under pessure like this.

Peter.

11. kyjaotkb macrumors 6502a

Funny that OWC uses Toshiba chips, though with a SandForce 2200 controller...

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Toshiba makes perfectly good flash memory chips. It's their SSD controller that's a POS.