Solid State Hybrid HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ifeelgood, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ifeelgood macrumors newbie

ifeelgood

Hi all! I'm going to get MBP pro 13" 2011 i5 and planing to immediately upgrade its hard drive. Unfortunately can't afford an SSD drive, so I had to think of solving the hd problem another way.
    And it seems that the solution is in buying ss hybrid hd, for ex http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/internal-storage/momentus-xt-kit/ (the video with the testing is a must-see!)

according to the official Seagate site they have:

80% faster performance than traditional 7200 RPM drives
    Boots within seconds of a standard laptop using SSD
    OS- and application-independent
    Whisper-quiet acoustics with Seagate® QuietStep™ technology

What do you think, is it really worth buying this thing? They seem to be pretty quiet and speedy & the price is really nice! :)

2. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

I got rid of mine.. Honestly, it was loud. Sounded like a fan running all the time.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

4. RKpro macrumors 6502

They are not consistently 80% faster, that is probably best case scenario. And they still have moving parts inside, so they still make noise and vibrate. I would wait and save up for a proper SSD.

But, if you really need 500GB of storage, then I don't see why not.
    500GB SSDs won't be $150 anytime in the near future.

5. davids8477 macrumors 6502

I've had one in my MBP for about a month a love it.

No sound, fast file access and pretty good boot times - 50-60 seconds.

Just be sure to upgrade it to the latest firmware - V24 right now.

6. emfsfo macrumors newbie

I upgraded my 2008 MBP 15 with the the seagate hybrid. I was totally blown away by how much faster it booted and launched apps. At that price point, I think it's the best bang for your buck. I really didn't notice much of a difference in the sound or vibration from the stock drive it replaced.

I always see mixed reviews on this particular model though; maybe I got a good one? Just make sure you update the HD's firmware.

7. Biff... macrumors 6502a

Biff...

I had it in my mbp for a week and got rid of it. Like the post above said, it sounded like a fan that was on all the time. I'm currently running the Hitachi Travelstar, its quiter and has similar boot times but at half the price.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

9. emfsfo macrumors newbie

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

I'm going to pick up one in a short while and test it out. I looked at A LOT of videos on youtube comparing it to 5400 rpm and the XT was faster. I just got my 2011 13", so we'll see how this turns out...

11. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I have one myself and it's not that loud. I got mine from Amazon during Christmas, dirt cheap :p
    Seriously, my fan's louder than the drive; if anything sounds like a fan, it's THE FAN.