Solid tate hard drive won't work

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zhivago1955, Mar 14, 2015.

1. zhivago1955, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

zhivago1955 macrumors member

zhivago1955

Hello from Oregon,

I bought a new Pata SSD which doesn't seem to work. I'm trying to give an ibook new life then pass it on to someone who doesn't have a laptop. Enclosed is a photo that will illustrate the 4 connecting pins that doesn't connect to anything. My question is: Do i need to connect A and B together to give power for the new SSD.

Thank You
    zhivago1955

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Good for you, and did you partition and format it for the Mac operating system?

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Into what are you attempting to install your SSD?

What make and model of SSD is it?

What do you mean by "it won't work"? Does it not mount? Can you see it in system profiler? Does it mount but you can't copy files on/off it? Feel free to fill in any other possibility that I missed.

4. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

Hello from Kansas.

I bought an SSD, too.

We're all happy to help you, but please provide us with more specific information so we have a better idea of what your problem is and can offer better assistance.

5. zhivago1955 thread starter macrumors member

zhivago1955

SSD part 2

Sorry for the error earlier with my post. See photo to get a better understanding of the situation regarding SSD doesn't work.

Thank You

Attached Files:

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If you are installing it in a Powerbook or iBook, don't worry about setting jumpers. Just connect the 44-pin ribbon cable/connector in the computer to the 44 pin connector on the drive-ignoring the 4 pins on the far left(in your picture).

Did the hard drive previously in the computer work? If not, you may have a bad ribbon cable-a not overly uncommon situation.

If you are attempting to install in a desktop Mac, you will need a 40 pin to 44 pin adapter. These are a few dollars on Ebay.

It would help us out a whole lot if you would tell us what type of computer into which you are attempting to install this drive.

7. zhivago1955 thread starter macrumors member

zhivago1955

Did the hard drive previously in the computer work? If not, you may have a bad ribbon cable-a not overly uncommon situation.

If you are attempting to install in a desktop Mac, you will need a 40 pin to 44 pin adapter. These are a few dollars on Ebay.

It would help us out a whole lot if you would tell us what type of computer into which you are attempting to install this drive.

THX for your reply and suggestion,

ibook G4 model#A1134 was purchased online without hard drive and memory. Flashing folder appears after installation of SSD. I have tried to reboot with install disks but nothing else happens. I'm wondering if there is more issues wrong with this laptop?

8. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Put the install disk in the drive, then reboot the computer while hold "C" on the keyboard. The computer should boot into the installer.

Once there, go into disk utility(it should be in one of the drop-down menus in the menu bar). The drive should appear there. Select the drive, then go to the partition tab. Select "1 Partition" from the drop down menu. Select the partition, then click "more options" or whatever the button to that effect says. From the menu that comes up, select Apple Partition Map. Then, partition.

From there, you should be able to exit out of disk utility and run the installer to install on the drive.