Solidworks on MBA ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gilado, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Gilado macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 4 GB i5 2012 13'' MBA , and I need to install solidworks on my mac for study for this semester.

The thing is that its only for windows :(

how can I install it on my MBA ?
    what will be the best and easy way to do so ?

Thank you.

2. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

I use SolidWorks, CATIA and Simulia, all by Dassault Systems. The only way is to have bootcamp, since a virtual computer would create so much lag specially with 4GB of RAM.

I also use AutoCAD & Simulation Mechanica by Autodesk. As well as MatLAB by MathWorks.

Based on my experience, you need Windows & bootcamp. The only feasible solution.

3. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

No lag or slowdown whatsoever here using autocad, solidworks, Comsol plus Metro apps/games on Windows Server 2012 R2 VMware Fusion on my 2011 MBA 13: i5 1.6 GHz/ 4 GB RAM/ 128 GB SSD. I only do very basic designs and simulations required for the class so nothing that the 2011 MBA can't handle.

4. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

I use NX and Inventor.. Worked fine for basic designs after ~4ish parts with decent amount of features software was unusable.

I have an S7 now and using a more complex assembly (over 100 parts) I have no problems. I don't know but it works.

Driver related maybe I'm not sure.

5. Gilado thread starter macrumors newbie

with VMware Fusion or parallels do I need to install windows or it comes with it ?

6. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

You need to install Windows.