Solidworks performance iris pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bigriz, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Bigriz macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anybody is using the base 15" rMBP with iris pro and could share their experiences with solidworks performance. I have seen the benchmarks on notebookcheck & anandtech but have no idea how they translate to usability.
    I recently had a 13" rMBP with the iris 5100 but this struggled with solidworks - it was basically unusable (probably partly to do with ulv CPU) so am interested to see how the pro fares.
    I am aware that MacBooks aren't designed for such programs and it isn't essential that I run the program as I have access to workstations, but would be a plus if I could practice at home.
    Thanks

2. paolo- macrumors 6502a

How big are the assemblies you'll be running?

3. Bigriz thread starter macrumors newbie

So far it's only been several parts but I expect to do relatively more complicated projects.

4. dyt1983, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

5. Bigriz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I believe drivers can have quite an adverse effect on performance, as the iris pro is not certified as you say. SW seemed pretty stable, it's just that highlighting parts would take a few seconds and it generally was laggy.

6. dyt1983, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

7. Bigriz thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently the iris pro measured ~20% faster than the 750m according to benchmarks on notebookcheck but by the sounds of it I don't think I'll get the performance I was hoping for. Looks like I'll have to wait for broadwell or look at alternatives. Thanks for the input

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

it depends heavily on which benchmarks. Look again. 750M is much faster for things that require a lot of vRAM, as it has 2gb of dedicated GDDR5. Iris Pro excels at things that don't need much vRAM, as it effectively only has a buffer of 128mb.

9. Bigriz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes sorry I meant faster specifically for solidworks.