Solo HDD in OptiBay??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 8CoreWhore, Dec 20, 2012.

1. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Is it possible to run one drive, and it would be in the optical bay?

I think there is something wrong with my SATA controller where my OEM HDD is. I thought the drive died, so I put in a Crucial M4.

Sometimes it was seen, other times not - I'd get the folder with the "?".

I've reset the PRAM

At one point it was seen and I was able to install the OS on it but any task took forever. For instance, it would take a couple of minutes for system info to show. It would beach ball. I could see the drive had the latest firmware - 040H.

But the system was unusable. Then I took it out, and put the OEM drive in it again - it booted, but it too was beach balling.

Then it was not seen upon reboot.

I went back and for several times with both drives.

Now I do know my DVD drive works. I could get a kit and install the drive (either one) there, but it would have to be the only drive as the other would be empty.

Also, I could then test the drives in the Optibay. If they are fine, then I know it's that first SATA spot (or cable).

So my question is can this be done? THANKS! :):apple:

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Did you try to reset SMC?

Are you sure the SATA cable is OK or not 100%?

3. 8CoreWhore, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Thanks for responding...

I didn't reset SMC because start-up drives was not listed as one of the things that fixes? Is it possible? I suppose it's possible though... I'll try it now....

It may be the cable is defective... is that common after almost 2 years? I checked it over and over again to be sure it is firm.

EDIT: I just rest the SMC and the machine still does not see the drive.

I should add that I am able to boot to ML fine on an ext FW drive.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Try running AHT extended and look if it comes up with any errors.

5. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Thanks Perry! Looks like I may be able to do that right over the internet!
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

I have some food on the stove so I'll do it in a bit. Thanks again. :)

6. Blue604 macrumors regular

7. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I was not able to get it to run the AHT.

I'll order an optibay kit and try that.

8. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I now have an external enclosure. Both of the above drives work fine booting through USB.

I'll order a HDD cable from eBay and try that...

I ordered an Optibay knock-off from Amazon... if my original SATA slot no longer works, I'll install the SSD in there.

In this post below, he says you can boot to a drive in Optibay -- that the hibernate issue has been fixed. If you still experience that issue, you can disable hibernate in the Terminal --

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/63473/booting-from-ssd-in-optibay-macbook-pro-mid-2010

:apple:

9. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

I've had my boot drive in the optibay since day 1… just have to specify it in the startup dis prefpane. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do this.

10. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Thanks, Joseph.

I get the Optibay thingy Monday and will do just that. I read here and there that booting there with SSD had some hibernation issue but that it had since been fixed.

But maybe it wasn't affecting all drives.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have a feeling the SATA cable for the main drive bay just needs to be replaced.

12. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I hope you're right, T5BRICK.

I ordered a cable through eBay. They are half the price of iFixit and have a 30 day return policy.

I sourced through a seller in NY to save time, but there are ones from Asia for a few bucks less.

There are two choices - with or without the IR/Sleep Light and bracket connected. I chose with, because looking at mine, I just can't tell if I can safely remove mine and reuse it. The way they are joined is very tiny and intricate - so not worth the risk or hassle to save less than 5 bucks.

You can see the bracket that the HDD connects to in the bottom of this screenshot - it contains the sensor and light.

The second screen shot describes that part separately. So this is two distinct part #s preassembled to each other. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Attached Files:

13. 8CoreWhore thread starter macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Update

Ok, I received the new HDD cable. That did the trick. I installed the SSD in the main bay, and the OEM HDD in the Optibay and made that my Time Machine drive.

To recap... The SSD or any drive, works well in the Optibay without any HDD in the main bay.

Early 2011 MBP that shows negotiated link speed of 1.5Gbps for the DVD drive, will jump to 3Gbps link for a HDD or SSD.

Thank y'all. :)