Solo Movie (Spoiler Alert)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JeffyTheQuik, May 28, 2018.

1. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Is it me, or is anyone else bothered (as in it’s a little creepy, not all up in a lather...) that Han Solo is at least 35 years older than Princess Leia?

I think he’d make a great grandfather (pun intended), but playing ball with Kylo Ren might be a little rough on Han.

My thinking is that Darth Maul appears in there, and he’s killed when Leia’s dad is a kid about 8 years old, and Anakin is about 19-20 when he and Padme make the twins, and it takes about 9 months to bring them full term, and Leia is about 22-23 when the second Death Star is blown up.

Speaking of that, how is Tony Randall’s kid doing?

2. FrancoisC, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018

FrancoisC macrumors 6502a

FrancoisC

You got the chronology wrong ;)

In case you missed it, Darth Maul now had robotic legs! « Solo » happens sometime between Episode 3 and Rogue One (Which happens just before Episode IV).

He didn’t die in episode one, how he survived his « death » (cut in half, fell down a hole) was explained in the cartoon tv series.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

That makes a lot of sense. I didn’t even realize there was a new Star Wars. I’m no die-hard movie fan, but still suprised by its release. Many they relied too much on these two words, “Star Wars”.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I saw it and it was a fun ride. No real issues with it. it was good, not great. A few laughs and a few sad ones. I liked it more than the Last Jedi, which really isn't saying much as I like Episode 1 better than the Last Jedi! :eek:

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

The movie is fun but the first 1/4 or so is kind of boring. Once it gets started, I enjoyed the ride. Its really just a heist movie with characters you already know.

7. JeffyTheQuik thread starter macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Thanks for the info. Who knew that a light saber would coterize a full thorax separation and someone could live through all that?

8. FrancoisC macrumors 6502a

FrancoisC

According to « canon » story, his hate was so strong that it made his connection to the dark side so powerful it helped him survive.

But what do I know, it isn’t called science-fiction for nothing, I tend to not over analyze these things :)

9. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I look forward to a cheap digital code in time.

10. millerj123 macrumors 65816

I was just hoping for a little more of a story, and less "Explain X, explain Y, explain z". It's his backstory, but it just felt really rushed. I guess the last good Star Wars movie for me was Rogue One. At least it wasn't the abomination that were the original prequels.

11. millerj123 macrumors 65816

12. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

Yeah, I got a headache trying to think about the chronology/timeline.

Using the relative ages of Solo and Kenobi: there was at least a 20 year age gap between Solo and Kenobi in Episode IV, more like 30 (could be a LOT more, given how Jedi can be long-lived). For me this meant Solo may not have been born around the time of Episode I, given Kenobi is probably in his early 20s there?

But then, I think a lot of lore got stomped on (or just changed on the fly) anyway in the series.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

going to catch it today. don't expect much out of it.

14. IronWaffle, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

tl;dr: skip to spoiler if you've seen it and are bored by my thumb typed wall of text blather. Today I’m burying all the leads for some reason so start at the bottom of the list. Backwards reels the mind.

Saw it opening night (3D IMAX, per my 30-something SW-junkie friend's desire). We've seen all of the Disney-era movies opening day. He thought it was okay. He'd been excited by the Lego directors but the firing immediately dampened his anticipation and going in and out he was more attuned to the "what part is from which vision" stuff, ultimately concluding it was Kasdan's, but unevenly interpreted. So, that's how at least one hardcore fan sees it. Of course, his personality is strongly analytical and, unlike me, he followed it all closely. I was looking forward to it modestly and with a take it or leave it feeling.

Still, I was surprised that’s what he first commented on as we left. A theater friend who used to do lighting always said he could tell a bad show when he’d overhear exiting theater-goers commenting on the lighting instead of the story or acting. I think that applies here, especially when combined with how quiet our crowd was throughout.

My own nerd bona fides: I was five when the original came out and knew it mostly from the storybook, playground talk, toys and the soundtrack. RotJ was the only one I saw in theaters. I whined like a billionaire when I wasn't taken to Empire. Didn't care for the prequels, though it's fun imagining the best of Sith spread over three releases. Most importantly, I own my own home, spend little time in my basement, have friends and family, and never make sound effects with my mouth.

I was entertained by Awakens, warts and all. Rogue One's pacing aside, I quite liked it. I found Jedi compelling despite some plot choices. I'm choosing those verbs carefully because I reacted to each differently and, perhaps out of sentiment or weariness from how our culture over-responds, I'm disinclined to being direct. That said, at best I liked a few segments of Solo (train heist comes to mind). The performances were fine and I think Glover did GREAT with Lando. Unlike my friend, though, I don't take blockbusters seriously (I save that for my arthouse and classics).

Nonetheless, I simply can't contextualize my honest, viseceral response to this movie. I genuinely disliked it. It's best moments were serviceable (that word is strong with the tagged spoiler to follow) but its checklist of origins was awkward and shallow. Perfect maybe for the Lego version of Solo (and that's no knock; I enjoyed Lego Movie and Lego Batman).

• Golly, I always wondered where he got his gun. Plentiful those things hit me and have faded away.
    • Imperial naming "Solo" is interesting in concept (called to mind Ellis Island) but as a humor beat so soon after the separation and in the tense escape it felt disjointed and the comic timing felt off a few beats. It can work but didn't for me... or my packed-house audience.
    • The double-crosses were over-used and didn't build on each other well enough by the third one for me to care (Crystal Skull had this, too).
    • The two snarky sidekicks got "tragic deaths". I suppose stakes had to be shoehorned since we know who isn't imperiled. Just lazy.
    • Thandie Newton being "fridged."
    Those to me are minor and I could wave them off but three issues I haven't encountered in my follow-up reading have reach into Empire and Jedi:
    • Droid being integrated into Falcon. On its own that's fine, but that droid's emotional tie to Lando, who broke down at her death, simply doesn't play in the OT scripts or portrayals. Nothing in Billy Dee Williams' (or John Williams', for that matter) performances pays off that emotion in the least.
    • Multiple characters say what a good guy Han is. Why? Tell not show. And you can't show it because we need to be ambivalent in New Hope. It's a tough tightrope. I say it failed in a huge character-based arena that falls not on the actors but squarely on Kasdan.
    • My deal-killer? EVERYTHING is already resolved then the mystery marauder tells Han and the audience that his gambit will fuel the nascent rebellion. It wasn't enough that he "did the right thing" and got a kickback? He had to become a lynchpin in the incredible shrinking universe?
    Love it or hate it, the beauty of Rogue One is that it's only real reach beyond its own narrative is to say, "there's a reason for the Death Star's ‘WTF’ fatal flaw." This movie isn't the same ship in a bottle. Thankfully my own franchise fatigue and preference for smaller movies shields me from caring about most of the above (those last three points aside). A shame since this is the only property that resonates with me.

I'll see it again on MoviePass's dime. I was hoping to go with another friend who loves SW (slightly less than Dr. Who) but she refuses in principle. She can’t see this as anything but a cash-grab that waters it all down. She LOVED Last Jedi but also plans on skipping IX. Why? She wants to stop on a high note, she says. I’m less adamant. I suspect I'll enjoy the better parts more but those last points will get worse. I won't likely see it again after that. As da kidz sez, “in, like, 4evah.”

15. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Ever go back and watch a movie or tv show as an adult that you loved as a child only to walk away wondering what you saw in it when you were 8? Take away the decades of hype, ground breaking special effects, and John Williams score and I honestly think Star Wars is a good movie. Not great. The worst parts are covered up by the fact that it was something that we had never seen before. But the hype has elevated the film to the level of legend. And the expectation, and the waiting, and the years between films to dream about what could be next.

So now we have this childhood expectation that we are leveling all new films against. Meanwhile Disney is rushing these films out, not patiently waiting for everything to line up. And VII/VIII showed me that Disney doesn't have a overall story arc for these films.

And now there's Solo. I haven't seen it yet. I'm not sure I want to. There are a lot of characters that don't deserve a second look. Count Dooku, Jaba, Grievous. I know everything about these characters I need to know. Anyone read the Rogue One prequel book? There was absolutely nothing in that book that I needed to know about any of the characters. And I feel a bit the same about Han Solo. I don't really need to know anything else about him.

16. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The original Original Trilogy (because Han shot first) should leave from the EU; they can keep the special edition Original Trilogy.:p Seriously, the Expanded Universe thing just adds too much nonsense. Just tacking on the Star Wars to the title doesn't make it a Star Wars movie.:rolleyes: They've strayed to far from the original lore. I refuse to consider anything in the Expanded Universe canon.

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

There was no reason for Darth Maul to turn on his light saber on when he was doing that Facetime call.

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I also like that whenever someone in any movie or show does a call like that, the other guy is just sitting there, waiting for the call. It never rings for a little bit or you hear the guy shout "I'm in the shower but I can hear you!" That really grinds my gears.

19. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

It's definitely some fatigue, however, look at the analysis of the performance vs. Rogue One:

Rogue One did $1.06B in '16, then The Last Jedi in '17 had a GBO of ~1.3B (granted, core story/characters), but that still shows an uptick. Now we've got Solo severely underperforming - my guess is this was just a bad mix of story (backstory that wasn't needed, "Look, here's how he won the Millennium Falcon"), casting (outside of Donald Glover who probably made a decent positive impact on the revenue), etc.

I think there will continue to be very successful films from this material, this was just a bit of a dud - and in general, I think the ongoing films need to look forward, not backward.

20. whooleytoo macrumors 604

whooleytoo

I'm not really sure it's fatigue. I could understand it, if you were talking about the main Episodes which IMO are suffering from hanging onto the same themes / situations / maybe even characters a bit too much. But the 'Star Wars story' are a bit more fresh and innovative - I absolutely loved Rogue One.

I mean, look at the Marvel franchises and how they're bombarding the market, yet getting bigger as they go on.

I don't know if I'd call this a dud, I actually enjoyed it a lot. But I'd have expected a lot more from a Han Solo spin-off. I'm not sure the lead actor was ideal, I think you needed someone with a bit more of a twinkle in the eye/bit more character to play Solo. I agree Glover was good.

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I was expecting to learn how Han learned to be an ace pilot. It seems he already had the skills as this movie begins. Maybe they're saving that story for a prequel.

The sequel to Solo will obviously be named Duet. ;)

22. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I heard for the next movie they're doing a prequel that takes place way in the past ...

The Big Bang: A Star Wars Story

23. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It's funny you mention this because I felt one specific scene in Solo was a nod to the "Han shot first" nostalgia many of us cling to. It's like the writers were saying, "yes, we all know that Han did shoot first".

24. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Ha... Me too!

25. JeffyTheQuik thread starter macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Yeah, I caught that too. I don’t get it... When someone threatens you, it’s OK to shoot first. You might not get to shoot second.