Solution: Blu-Ray on a Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Relznuk, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Hello all. I recently came across a very interesting article on how to view Blu-Ray content on a Mac. Having tried it, I can say that it seems to work (although you only get the main movie, no menus and such). It's a fairly simple method, and I imagine that, in time, even easier and better solutions will come about.

Take a look: http://bit.ly/9xTqcF

2. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Jeez, with the cost of that drive, one could buy a PS3 or a cheaper Blu-Ray player. I think I saw some on sale recently for $80. Good read though.

3. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

Wow.. We can't you get a bare drive for $85 at Micro Center and a case for $50?

Or do you need something extra special?

(EDIT: By extra special I mean is the software special? Is the software somehow worth the extra money?)

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

the biggest issue with the Mac is the lack of Blu-ray support via software. No program native on OSX will currently do anything with Blu-ray. Even the new Final Cut Studio suits blu-ray support is a joke.

So the value here is 2 things. The software and the lack of any other method so they can charge that much. On that note, if you want to just burn content on a blu-ray disc, Toast offers blu-ray support in their app. Again, you will of course need a blu-ray burner for your mac and this is not movie playback. Just burning.

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The MakeMKV streaming method has been detailed on these forums before. There is no need for a BluRay burner, as this method only needs to read the disc. You certainly don't need an overpriced Lacie drive.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah, I've been playing Blu-ray Discs under OS X for months now using Make MKV's streaming server and VLC. No need to buy anything other than the drive and Make MKV. Pretty easy but sans menus.

7. Romeo604 macrumors regular

will any internal blu ray drive work when i put it into an external enclosure and be detected by my mac?

I have been looking online and most of the $80-$100 range specify they only compatible with windows.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I replied to you in the other thread, so that should answer your questions. Good luck!

9. Romeo604 macrumors regular

thanks a lot Cave Man for the help!

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

MacSales Blu-Ray externals