Resolved Solution for extreme yellow iPhone X screen with True Tone ON...no joke!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daffie, Nov 14, 2017.

1. santela macrumors regular

Doesn’t seem to change anything for me.

I closed my eyes during the slide so the intense yellow doesn’t recalibrate my perception of the screen color. And my screen really looks exactly the same sliding it from the far right to the far left and vice versa.

Maybe someone can take a before/after picture in controlled lighting condition to demonstrate if there is any change.

2. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

I’m ignorant? lol.

Think about what you are saying: something that should have no effect on the display is having an effect for SOME people and not others.

Now, could it be you guys are just suffering from the placebo effect or rebound effect, or do you think Apple only made your phones this way?

lol. Cmon man. Use your brain.

3. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Sorry but this is blatant misinformation. When night shift is off and you slide the slider, it gives you a preview of what it will look like at that level. Once you let go of the slider it goes right back to what the screen was before. If you have True Tone on, it will go right back to the yellowish colour. So, it's a placebo effect at best.

4. techspin macrumors 6502a

No change here. True tone works well for me though, I just wanted to see if toggling the night shift slider made any difference. Maybe OP's phone did have some type of glitch. Also I tried this under fluorescent lighting.

5. AMTYVLE macrumors 6502a

AMTYVLE

I would like to embrace True Tone, but I just can't. It makes everything piss yellow after you take a multi-vitamin. I don't understand.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Oh yea, now it's working. Terrific!! Super! The yellow is gone!

j\k

7. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Yeah I find that too. It's great on my iPad but too yellow on the X, at least on my X in my opinion. Thankfully with TT off the display is pretty much perfect and in line with screens I've got calibrated here in my office.

8. daffie, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

daffie thread starter macrumors 6502

daffie

Nope it isn't...no misinformation. Worked the way I described on my iPhone X, and others have experienced the same. Others don't...and that's fine as well. Apparently on some phones the night shift setting seems to have been activated automatically, while it seems OFF. Adjusting the slider seems to kick the setting to OFF finally.

Again...worth trying for anyone who is experiencing an extremely yellow screen (not the normal True tone warm-white...but a night shift dark yellow). If it doesn't work, then no harm is done neither.

Let's keep things civilised please, and refrain from bashing statements.

9. upandown macrumors 6502a

When you move the slider it temporarily shows the night shift yellow value. In short the screen turns yellow.. Your eyes see yellow, you release the slider, and the screen goes back to its normal setting. You are perceiving a less yellow screen because you saw a stronger momentary yellow cast.

Basic eye function I learned in elementary school. It's the same reason you all are bitching about the yellow screen. A majority of you are tilting your screen to the side, seeing a blue cast and then looking at it straight on again. Seeing an even yellower screen. It's temporary of course but you don't understand how eyes work so you think it's the screen.

10. AppleRobert, Nov 15, 2017

AppleRobert macrumors 603

Are you saying with night shift off the slider should be all the way to the left to begin with and not about one third to the right?

With tt one and ns off on my iPad Pro the slider is right in the middle. Like the other guy said, it gives a preview on my iPad Pro at least when it is adjusted but then screen tone goes to the way it was after my finger is removed.

11. KhunJay macrumors 6502

KhunJay

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Put a 10.5 Pro along side the X with TT on, the X is piss yellow but the Pro is no where that yellow screen tone of the X so maybe there is a problem with the X.

13. daffie thread starter macrumors 6502

daffie

Well I think anyone can try for themselves if they like.

For me (and others) it has worked incredibly well. No placebo effect or otherwise case of ‘eye adjustment’ or anything like that.

My screen is now as it should be using the True Tone setting.

I’m happy and hope others will find this information useful. For those who don’t see it or for whom it doesn’t have the same result please try to refrain from these ultra negative naysayer remarks. It’s not constructive...at all.

14. Ayemerica macrumors 65816

Ayemerica

15. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Still like a I see pictures of what you or anyone else is seeing that notices a difference. And how does one account for one’s noticing and others saying there is not a change? Seems like a “gate” with some of the Xs if it is true.

Like I said, big difference with my Pro versus X with tt on though.

16. Poontaco, Nov 15, 2017

Poontaco macrumors regular

Oh man, yes you are so very very ignorant!
    You think one phone can't have a bug if another phone doesn't? Really?
    How very ironic that you are telling people to use their brains.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 15, 2017 ---
    I don't understand you guys.
    People are reporting a bug, and because you aren't experiencing it, then it must be "blatant misinformation"?
    What do you call your fantasy land?

I would guess most people understand how the slider shows you a preview when you move it around. That is not the issue.
    I think it is pretty clear to (ahem) most people here that there is a bug that is keeping the True-Tone Display from updating it's readings properly, and moving the slider resets it (and thereby temporarily fixes it).

But of course that's impossible, right, because you aren't experiencing it, right?

17. daffie, Nov 15, 2017

daffie thread starter macrumors 6502

daffie

@Poontaco

Thank you for that! Another voice of reason. Good to have in here. It was needed.

18. BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

OP, you must've been really bored, still looks like piss yellow. Those who say it works must be color blind.

19. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

It is misinformation. You make zero reference to "night shift apparently being activated automatically, while it seems OFF" in your original post, and merely go on about the overly yellow screen that people associate with true tone being ON. The fact is, the night shift slider does exactly what I described - gives you a preview of what it will look like, then returns to normal (whatever your normal is based on your settings). It has absolutely nothing to do with true tone, and is almost certainly a trick being played on your vision as nicely described by upandown earlier. Find it very, very hard to believe that in some phones it appears as though night shift is on when it shows as off, just think people are looking for things they expect to see and convincing themselves there is a positive outcome. Placebo effect in other words.

20. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

It doesn't seem to work for me, but my X doesn't seem overly aggressive with the yellow tone to begin with. I'll keep testing it. Thanks for the info! :)

21. daffie thread starter macrumors 6502

daffie

You’re very welcome.

22. kirkhuffy macrumors regular

I didn't notice a change. However, whether or not it truly worked, in OPs eyes, it did. So if OP is happy about it then that's all that matters.

23. darkside flow macrumors 6502

darkside flow

No change. Tru tone looks horrendous. Display is nice and cool with it off.

24. WilliamG macrumors G3

Tested on 3 phones. Doesn’t make any difference.

25. markol macrumors member

Why don't you guys just use the Display Accommodations setting to adjust the blue/yellowness of the screen?

Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Color Filters > then adjust to your liking.