Solution for GMAIL push on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by samcraig, Apr 6, 2010.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

2. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

Very nice, thanks for this. I've switched my gmail settings over to get push!

3. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Works good, unless you already have an exchange account set up for work.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

That's very true. And I do - but I don't need to have my work email synced with my iPad - I have my iPhone for that and I can always get my mail via the web browser on the iPad to take a "bigger" look

5. btcutter macrumors 6502

All push mail!

If you have an exchange account as well, this is a work around.

You can Setup Primary Exchange account then go to Gmail and have all your gmail forward to your exchange account. Bingo...all push mail.

You can do it the other way too.....Setup Gmail using Exchange and forward your "exchange mail" to Gmail....Bingo again!

6. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Thanks for reminding me to setup my mail this way :)

7. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

A related question. What's the difference between syncing you calendar via exchange versus caldev?

8. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I'm having trouble with Gmail on my wife's iPad using both the exchange and standard Gmail method. I keep getting a message that I can't connect to the server. MobileMe works perfect. I even checked and used all of the exact same settings that are on my 3GS iPhone. Anyone else have a similar issue?

9. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Thanksfully iPhone OS 4 will support MULTIPLE exchange accounts. Too bad we won't see OS 4 for iPad for some time after iPhone... not sure why.

10. jster25 macrumors member

I tried the Microsoft Exchange method for PUSH email with GMail, but for some reason, it doesn't pickup all mails that are "Starred." Anyone have any issues with this or know a solution?

11. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

I am having all my mail pushed across all
    my computers, iPhone and iPad using MOBILEME.

Works great except that I have to use my
    MOBILEME account to send out email which
    I would rather not do. Instead I would like
    to program it to use my GMAIL as outgoing.

What is the difference between creating an
    EXCHANGE account and a MOBILEME account?

12. Doju macrumors 68000

On the current OS (4.0 will change this) you can only have one exchange account, so Gmail will use that up if you need it for something else, you're in trouble.

But with exchange Gmail it will allow you to have email pushed just like MobileMe (but for free) and will allow you to reply from the Gmail account.

13. kes601 macrumors regular

I had a problem w/the Exchange setup where the Mail app would never download all messages in my folders even if I set no limit to the amount of mail to sync AND I told it to push multiple folders, it would still only go back a few days. That wasn't going to work, so I left Exchange setup to push my Contacts and Calendars and setup a regular GMail account on the iPad and installed Pushmail to notify me of when I had mail. This is working great for me.

Just thought I would mention it in case others had problems with getting mail within folders/labels to show.

14. SocalMark macrumors member

Thanks works Perfect it just keeps getting better everyday. :)

15. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Thanks for this!

I stumbled upon this post trying to look up info about enabling Gmail push on my iPad. I'm really glad to have this working! (Now I'm just waiting for multiple Exchange account support with the next iOS update.)