All iPads Solution for unattended PDF sync

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jjfad, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jjfad macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about getting an iPad but wanted to make sure of one particular thing.

On my MacBook Air I have a library of PDF files scattered throughout many folders. I would like to be able to access those PDFs from my iPad, with any highlighting/annotations done on the MBA reflected on the iPad (and vice versa).

Are there any app combinations that would permit this? I've spent some time Googling around for this but I'm really just encountering a bunch of old posts that say this is not possible. Hoping something new has come up in the past year.

1. If the solution requires that all of these PDFs be stored in a single folder (rather than scattered throughout multiple folders), I would be willing to do that.

2. If the solution requires me to press a button to manually execute the sync from my iPad (rather than operate continuously in the background, syncing any changes to the PDFs that are made either on the MBA or on the iPad), I would be willing to do that.

3. If the solution requires an Internet connection at the time of file viewing (e.g., I can view the file structure on a server but I have to click on a file to download it to my iPad when I want to annotate it), then that won't work for me. I need to have the actual files available on my MBA and on my iPad.

4. If the solution works with all documents (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, etc) that would be a bonus but not necessary.

Anything like this out there? Fingers crossed...

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I think your best bet would be to open a Dropbox account and then sync all the PDFs to Dropbox. Then use an application such as Goodreader to access the PDFs from Dropbox. You would have to manually re-upload any changes made in Goodreader back to Dropbox. Goodreader does have the ability to access Dropbox from directly within the app.

3. jjfad thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for this suggestion!

So does this mean that Goodreader actually syncs the PDFs so that a local copy is stored on the iPad?

4. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Correct, you download the PDFs from Dropbox into Goodreader.