Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KelvinH

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Silly question for a first poster, long time lurker :p.

Wouldn't messing with fanspeeds void warranty? I just want to be 100% sure.

erigas

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Silly question for a first poster, long time lurker :p.

Wouldn't messing with fanspeeds void warranty? I just want to be 100% sure.

If something happens you can erase your files/fan programs before you take it in. Having said that I would much rather have a higher spinning fan than a fried logic board. If you're gonna spend considerable time in windows rendering/gaming I would consider the extended warranty and a good cooling stand like tunefan as a sound investment.

KelvinH

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I ordered a Griffin Elevator stand for my Mac (without a fan though). Had done quite some research and asked around and it seems having clearance under the MBP does wonders for the cooling.

I still have trouble with Macfan on Windows 7 64bit. It instantly closes when not run in administrator mode, and in administrator mode it closes after a few seconds, just after reading the fan data.

gremsi26

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
I realize i am reviving an old thread so my question might not be answered. Your post helped in heating problems with my windows 7 installing. However i was concerned about one thing. You said that macfan will set the minimum temperatures, does this mean that windows 7 will still raise this fan speeds accordingly? From what i have been reading it seems as if windows 7 does not control the fan speeds.

I am running Windows 7 64 Bit using Bootcamp 4.0.1

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Macfan only increases the minimum speed on my 2011 Mac mini but further all other controls for the fan stay in place. When the temperature under windows gets right up in the 90C the fan starts speeding up dramatically. IMHO the fan control settings that are build in for windows by Apple are not set optimal.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I would really like to set up some type of project to reverse engineer Apple's Mac OS X power management to Windows, I am sure Apple could do it themselves but it seems they don't want to give any users the full benefit of running Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.