Solution Needed: Access MBP From Anywhere w/ iPhone, w/ MBP Lid Closed.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HappyDude20, Jun 26, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Having just got an iPhone, I'm wanting to truly free myself from my MacBook Pro, yet still have access to all my 500GB hard drive from anywhere.

Solutions like dropbox work fine, especially considering my dropbox folder on my MBP has rePlaced my documents folder. But I want peace of mind, knowing I can access any file on my MBP beig anywhere.

Ideally, I'd like for all this to occur even with my MBPs lid closed at home; reason being there is 3 year old at home that will likely mess up the MBP should the lid be opened (throwng toys up in the air or simply seeing a computer (he used to love the iPad)).

I would imagine the solution would be a simple iPhone app and it's MBP counterpart. That and some sort of app to disable the MBP from falling asleep... But this is why I started the thread.

I'm all ears!

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Almost ALL VLC apps require you to be on the same WIFI connection and have the computer turned on (not on sleep).

I don't think you can access your computer's files in the Cloud if your computer cannot be accessed since it's asleep.

So short answer, no, i don't think there is a way to do this. If you wanted to keep the screen open, then yes, it's definitely possible.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Well, I've heard of both InsomniaX & InsomniaT that prevent the MacBook from falling asleep with the lid closed, though has heard conflicting reports about these apps being realible in the long run.

I refused to believe an app doesn't exist that let's you view all your files, including media to watch similar to LogMeIn; just wanting the added benefit of being able to even see movies and tv shows on my Mac.

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Yeah, i didn't know about those apps that keep the Mac on when the lid is closed.

As you said, if they are reliable, that is great. LogMeIn is great, but If i remember correctly, it's kinda pricy.

5. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Plus that doesn't sound too secure. If you had access to all those files thru your iphone then anyone could by pulling a few strings.

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

The solution is a few applications for both the iPhone and also the MBP. I use these solutions right now. I use them for my work which means I need access to all my stuff all the time. Currently running about 8TB in data so it's important to have those available.

1. You need a VNC client or a few VNC clients. My favorites to use are Logmein Ignition and iTeleport Pro. Using Logmein Ignition, you'll have access to all files on the computer as well as virtual control of the computer should you need more advanced functions. The new file browser for LMII is pretty good and will pretty much take the place of your dropbox account.

2. You need an application for the MBP called Sleepless. This will allow you to run your MBP on while the lid is closed and without sleeping the computer. I would also suggest smcfancontrol so you can run the fans on high to keep computing at optimum temperatures.

3. If you need streaming access to media files such as music, video, or photos, I would suggest using Orb and Orb Live in order to stream the content to your iPhone. If you need a kickass file retrieval system, I would recommend setting up an FTP server on your MBP and then using FTPOnTheGo on your iPhone.

7. ctbear macrumors 6502a

This can be done easily if you have an external screen.

1. Download and set up remote desktop solution (my personal favorite: Splashtop Remote)
    2. Connect your Mac to the external screen, then close the lip to let it sleep.
    3. When you're out, wake your Mac with a wake-on-lan-over-internet tool. Then connect to it with remote desktop app.

8. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

You guys on a Mac need a download an application to prevent the computer from sleeping when closing the lid? That's a simple setting on Windows. We can natively stream media too.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I use Carbonite to back up all my files which makes them available from the Internet and Carbonite also has an iPhone client. Mozy is also an online back up but it changed since I looked at it so I don't have the specifics on it.

Apple TV can send a WOL and LogMeIn is free unless you upgrade to a Pro account which IIRC is necessary to transfer files.

That doesn't make sense.

10. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I believe Splashtop only works over your home WIFI network.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

InsomniaX works great for me and reliable. Never tried InsomniaT.

Logmein is also a great app and works perfectly for me, but that's not what your looking for. Logmein doesn't stream on the iphone, it copies first.

Orb would be exactly what your looking for. Works flawless over Wifi & over good 3G coverage. Streams music well over Edge too, but not videos.

12. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Sounds interesting. I'm gonna have to check this out.

13. ctbear macrumors 6502a

It works over outside network and 3G. I remote to my Mac from work all the time.

14. machacker macrumors regular

+1 for Splashtop. I use it from work all the time. And since the connection is so strong at my house, I really do have access to all 3 TB at any time. If it is a document I need, I just throw it into dropbox and then I am good to go. Or if it is a video, I can either just play it, or I make sure it is in the folder that AirVideo is watching. Word of warning for splashtop though, it does take some configuration on your router to get working.

AirVideo is a great app especially if you are looking to access TV shows or Movies remotely. I have it pointed to my Media drive and I can access all of my shows and movies from work or anywhere I am. Great App.

For me, Splashtop and AirVideo eliminated the need for me to bring my laptop anywhere. I bring my iPad, yet I am just as productive.

15. walie macrumors 6502a

yay cloud!! :D:D:D

16. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Logmein app doesnt neeed a pro subscription to access the files. You cant do it on another pc, but if youve got the iphone app itll work.

17. MiRod407 macrumors member

I vote for Splashtop. They're also working on a feature that will make your computers screen turn off while you're connected to it remotely. Its also an inexpensive app.

As others have said you can use this app outside of your home network. You may need to set a static IP to your computer and enter your computers external IP address into the app, but thats it.

18. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

What kind of files? For pictures & video:
    Orb
    Pogoplug Premium software

For pictures only:
    Tonido

19. jdaniel macrumors 65816

1. I dont know about getting remote access to your mac, I am sure there is stuff out there but it would be too slow....

2. If you have documents you need to sync, I use Documents to go Premium.

20. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I do this all the time. Here's my setup:

17" MBP connected to external display
    ipad/iphone apps - iTeleport VNC
    VNC Server Enterprise Edition for Mac
    AirVideo
    EasyVPN
    Synology NAS

Here's what I can do:
    VNC to the mac directly and control the computer
    stream videos using air video
    connect to my home network with easyvpn - access files and log into my home router

With the MBP connected to an external display and keyboard, just close the lid and press a key on the keyboard to wake it if it goes to sleep.

You will also need to set up port forwarding on your router for the appropriate ports.