[SOLUTION] Random MobileMusicPlayer (iPod) crashes on iPhoneOS 3.1.2.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cnunez1987, Nov 23, 2009.

1. cnunez1987 macrumors newbie

Hey, everyone! I've been a lurker of this forum for quite some time and can finally give back to the numerous solutions I've found here and elsewhere.

I ran into a hairy problem with my iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 3.1.2 (Jailbroken and Unlocked) after a canceled sync where the iPod application would crash immediately after opening. Re-syncing didn't work on two of the computers I sync it with, and I couldn't find any (recent) solutions on Google. Observing the crash logs showed the obvious: the library was corrupted.

I solved it by doing the following:

1. Bring up the iPhone's filesystem, either by SCP or other means.
    2. Navigate to your iTunes library, which is located in /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes.
    3. RENAME "iTunes Library.itlp" to something else. I renamed it to "iTunes Library_orig.itlp."
    4. Re-sync the device.

I can't find much literature on this on Google, but from investigating its contents, it seems to be a collection of critical MobileMusicPlayer databases. I've found that canceling syncs with the original iPod would corrupt these files and result in spectacular wonkyness and frustrated owners.

Hope this helps anyone that encounters this issue!

-cn

2. Sbox1 macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. I ran in to this exact problem usnig the same iphone 3g/firmware. I dont recall cancelling in the middle of a sync but it is possible.

Either way... last night before I went to sleep/resynced phone, my ipod worked fine. This morning, my iPod application crashes consistently.

After investigating log files in /var/logs/CrashReporter on my phone it appears as though some playlists have crashed or something.

Your solution here seems like it will fix my prob, unfortunately I can't test it until I get home. I'll test later today... but thank you for posting this fix!

3. RollerDerby macrumors newbie

Thank you SO SO much. You're a lifesaver!! I was so scared that I was going to have to restore and lose all of my stuff. My i-pod would appear as a white blank page, then crash. I was getting so frusterated because I couldn't find any help. You're my hero! I did exactly what you said, and now its working perfectly:)