Solution to Jailbreak 3GS (old bootrom) with Spirit

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stevers23, Jul 2, 2010.

1. stevers23 macrumors newbie

2. jlmitnick macrumors regular

I did this last week on my 3.1.3 old bootrom spirit jailbroken phone when it was a lot harder! (You had to create a 3.1.3 custom firmware with pwnage tool 3.1.5, then unpack that and put some of those files onto the phone with an ftp client, then run some terminal commands on the phone through ssh, etc.)

Sounds like the new cydia download makes things a lot easier - so the hack itself is a week old, but this easier to use simple download is new and much appreciated!

3. oren1 macrumors member

Yep I did it also in the hard way (ssh to phone and replace some files)
    I have no idea if the new solution works, but I guess it does.

4. Melodic macrumors member

Did it the hard way too. I had no idea about a cydia package but oh well it worked for me

5. Obese Lobsters macrumors member

Just tried the hack using cydia, and it worked great. iOS4 is amazing

6. cjd82187 macrumors member

If its the same as the workaround where you manually ssh the files onto your phone then it works. Just did mine 2 days ago that way. And it doens't "reverse" your spirit jailbreak. The issue is that Spirit doesn't pwn your phone and patch the bootloader (I belive its the bootloader that needs to be flashed) which is why you cannot install a custom iOS4 because that pwn'd exploit isnt there. This doesnt remove spirit, it adds that exploit that pwnage tool does on earlier iOSs (like 3.1.2).

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

Did mine last night worked out fine took a couple tries using Sn0wbreeze but jb/ul on 4.0 now :D not the biggest sn0wbreeze fan but I have to redo my mac software on my pc!

8. Qanbar macrumors member

Qanbar

Did my jailbreak from 3.1.3 spirit to 4.0
    It failed in dfu mode but worked in regular mode.

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I restored to 3.1.2 and custom firmware up to 4.0. It's much better and easier.

10. plexi macrumors newbie

So I just came across this thread. I saw that these are the requirements to do this:

You must be on iPhone 3GS (Old Bootrom) and Spirit Jailbroken 3.1.3
    Open Cydia and add the source –> http://repo.woowiz.net
    Now search for –> Spirit2Pwn.
    Install Spirit2Pwn and reboot the device.
    Now follow Pwnage Tool on Mac (Instructions here) or Windows with Sn0wbreeze (Instructions here)

How do I know what bootrom I'm on and if its considered the old one? I'd really like to get my 3GS to iOS4.

Thanks

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=814973

12. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Works great. I just wrote about my experience with this earlier today:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=960676

Basically goes like this:
    3.1.3 stock FW > Spirit JB > Spirit2Pwn via Cydia > PwnageTool custom 4.0 FW > Ultrasn0w (For unlock)

Actually pretty painless now that Spirit2Pwn is in Cydia.

13. plexi macrumors newbie

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, you're out of luck.
    Thats the new boot.

15. plexi macrumors newbie

Strange, iClarified says this:

***If you have an iPhone 3GS, iBoot-359.3 is considered the old bootrom. iBoot-359.3.2 is considered the new bootrom.

Has anyone successfully upgraded a 3GS w/ Spirit to 4.0 yet?

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im sorry, you're right.
    359.3 is the old one.
    iPhone 3GS with 359.3.2 is the new. This version isn't vulnerable to the "24kpwn" exploit.

17. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Yup I've done it successfully and it worked brilliantly. See the link I posted above for my little guide. There's a few guides out there but now that Spirit2Pwn is on Cydia you can omit a few of their steps.. no longer have to muck around with SFTP/SSH now that it's all scripted and packaged.

In a nutshell:
    Restore stock 3.1.3 (must have 3.1.3 blobs on file) > Spirit JB > Spirit2Pwn from Cydia > Flash PwnageTool 4.0 FW > Ultrasn0w (for unlock if you want)

There's a few details in there that I mention in my other post (editing your /etc/hosts file, downloading recBoot to kick yourself out of DFU mode after the 3.1.3 restore), but it's really not bad. Took me a few hours to figure out the first time, then I repeated the whole process in about 30 minutes today.

PM me if you have questions about this process.

18. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

A few quick questions:

First, I might have screwed myself, unfortunately - I followed all the instructions (3.1.3 3GS on old bootrom), however, when I restored - all I got was the springboard w/o cydia - what a bummer that is

Nonetheless, I was wondering if you used iTunes 9.1 to do all of this or if you upgraded to 9.2 somewhere in the process

Secondly, when I try to install the custom firmware that I created, itunes (9.2) tells me it's not a valid firmware. could this be because I put it in DFU mode rather than Restore?

Thirdly, and most unfortunately, I'm not sure Im going to be able to do anything about getting 4.0 jb'd now that I'm on 4.0 and didnt install the custome FW correctly.

thanks in advance,
    Brian