Solution to messed up Screen Protecters so you can re-use them!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by snverhallen, Sep 25, 2008.

1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Have you ever tried applying a screen protecter, but found that there was too much dust under it, so you just tried a new one. Well I think I may have found a solution. BTW I tried this with a SwitchEasy Screen Protecter.

I put the screen protecter under a hot tap, holding through the home button, then I put some soap on it and gently cleaned it. Then I just shook it a bit to get the water droplets off. And now there are no pieces of dust or fingerprints... 100% clean. AND the sticky side remains sticky!

The hotter water the better, and make sure to not dry it off by hand, just wait for it to air dry, which shouldn't take long.

So take those discarded screen protecters that you deemed to dusty, and see if this works. I hope it does!

snverhallen

2. kicko macrumors 65816

I did the same thing but i used cold water. Did you apply it after? I am keeping mine for a spare until i need it. i was just concerned about the drops collecting dirt from the air as it was drying. It was somewhat hard to get the drops off since the film is so flimsy.

3. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I applied mine, and it worked great. But unfortunately there are 2 tiny specks of dust due to a long time putting it on :eek:. So I need to re-do it, but this technique definitely works.

snverhallen

4. reliantj macrumors 6502

could you also do this while wet?

you know, like putting on a bodyguardz or invisibleshield?

just squeegee out the water, which i bet what's included
    with the other shields.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

for the shields, if you trap dirt, I would recommend using clear tape to try and unstick the piece of dirt before the adhesive dries , once it dries if you try to unstick and restick the shield it will be stretched :(

6. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't recommend doing this while wet, because you don't what to risk getting water in the cracks of the iPhone.

snverhallen

7. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

i agree...but i actually did this while the screen protector was wet (PS anti glare) and my phone is working great!

8. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

scotch tape also works well to remove big pieces of dus, saved me a lot of trouble

9. reliantj macrumors 6502

o_O

but the invisible shields and body guardz come with an application spray.
    i'm pretty sure those are conductive as well.
    so in all honesty, i think it would be safe. just so long as the water is
    distilled so that it has a minimal about of minerals.

10. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed, but not to excessive. The reason the application spray is safe, is because the spray is a very fine mist. And like you say, distilled water is probably best. And just try and not use too much water.

snverhallen