Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
The fact the MBP's edges are sharp isn't debatable.

True, if you practice "correct typing" then your wrist/forearms shouldn't rest on the edge. If you're sitting at a desk it's quite easy to control your typing position.

But, these are notebooks, designed to be used anywhere ... sometimes in situations where practicing "correct typing" isn't an option, such as on an airplane, a higher than usual table such as at a cafe, couch are just a few examples.

Does anyone have a sensible solution? I've seen all the joking posts showing electrical and duct tape or sanding down the edges ...

I'd like to find a decent solution. I'm used to the sharp edge, my wife is new to Mac laptops and her forearms are red and chaffed looking after just a few days use.

Not something she experienced in her years with her T400 ... She's a Mac user now, (iMac) and looked so forward to her first Mac laptop, I know she's disappointed about it and I'd like to find a solution.

Contact Apple?
I've done that twice, once via phone and once in writing. Their comments are "oh, we've never noticed that, or heard of it before" ... and that's as far as it goes.

Apple wasn't kidding about "cutting edge design" but this is a bit much.

Moshi Palm guard is an option, it helps a little but not much.

I suppose a Speck Case would work but not really into the idea of cover the whole computer.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008

True, if you practice "correct typing" then your wrist/forearms shouldn't rest on the edge. If you're sitting at a desk it's quite easy to control your typing positions.

But, these are notebooks, designed to be used anywhere ... sometimes in situations where practicing "correct typing" isn't an option, such as on an airplane, a higher than usual table such as at a cafe, couch are just a few examples.

Does anyone have a sensible solution? I've seen all the joking posts showing electrical and duct tape or sanding down the edges ...

I'd like to find a decent solution. I'm used to it, my wife is new Mac laptops and her forearms are red and chaffed looking.

Not something she experienced in her years with her T400 ... She's a Mac User now, (iMac) and looked so forward to her first Mac laptop, I know she's disappointed about it and I'd like to find a solution.

Contact Apple?
I've done that twice, once via phone and once in writing. Their comments are "oh, we've never noticed that, or heard of it before" ... I say b*llshit :)

I suppose a Speck Case would work but not really into the idea of

There are LOT of wrist pads available. Google is your friend:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wrist+pad+for+keyboard&tag=yahhyd-20&index=aps&hvadid=42613601011&ref=pd_sl_43blm90jdq_b

cheers
JohnG

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I've typed on the new unibody's a few times, and I have no clue how you type but I never found the edges sharp.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
The eges are sharp, especially the one to the front is a problem. Fortunately it smoothes out quite quickly so that it gets a bit better after some (ab)use. It wont make a round out of an edge, but neither will it stay as cutting sharp as it came out of factory.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

True, if you practice "correct typing" then your wrist/forearms shouldn't rest on the edge. If you're sitting at a desk it's quite easy to control your typing position.

I'd like to find a decent solution. I'm used to the sharp edge, my wife is new to Mac laptops and her forearms are red and chaffed looking after just a few days use.

Not something she experienced in her years with her T400 ... She's a Mac user now, (iMac) and looked so forward to her first Mac laptop, I know she's disappointed about it and I'd like to find a solution.

Contact Apple?
I've done that twice, once via phone and once in writing. Their comments are "oh, we've never noticed that, or heard of it before" ... and that's as far as it goes.

I suppose a Speck Case would work but not really into the idea of cover the whole computer.

It's definitely debatable. My 13" MBP had sharp edges, but my i7 MBP definitely doesn't. Much more rounded that the 13" model.

jomiller

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2010
A simple solution. Get some tennis racquet grip tape like Tourna Grip. Cut it to the length you need to cover the sharp edge of your macbook and tape it on.

rognu

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Hey! Al least someone notice it!

It's uncomfortable, sometimes even painful.

Come on guys, the MBP in that aspect ins't ergonomic, it's clear.

But it's true that depends in how do you type or in what position are you.
Also what are you wearing ;) in winter with long sleeves no problem. We'll see in summer.

It is a clear example of design before ergonomic.

You could try something. But very very carefully. With sandpaper (fisrt try one very soft) you can soften the edges. Cover the rest of the laptop, just leave some millimeters at the edge, and work there. Again try with a very soft sandpaper, you can even apply some water to the sandpaper to make it softer, and go very slowly and carefully.

Maybe I would try it.

diablo2112

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
A few more options to deal with the sharp edges on the MBP.

Attachments

• lapsteel1_1.jpg
    lapsteel1_1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 462
  • Makita_9557NB_Angle_Grinder-330x330.jpg
    Makita_9557NB_Angle_Grinder-330x330.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 11,162

Dozerrox

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Exeter
Yeah, some people have filed the edges with good results. Just go a bit at a time and take it slow. Looks as good as original if you're careful.

nydreamer29

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2010
same issue

I have been reading through a lot of these forums... and I have to say that the problem is not always typing. When I am scrolling and browsing, I rest my hand on the edge to use the trackpad. My hand is in pain from the edge on the macbook pro. I really don't want to try filing it down... I would like some sort of padding that I can put over the edge. I have looked at skins and other things, but most of them are made to protect the areas next to the trackpad and not the edge where my hand rests.

Can anyone offer some products for this? I saw the google post earlier, but I use my laptop on my lap most of the time and so those will not help.

Thanks!!!!!!

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
A simple solution. Get some tennis racquet grip tape like Tourna Grip. Cut it to the length you need to cover the sharp edge of your macbook and tape it on.

+1! I'm going to the sporting goods store straightaway to try that out.

Tom71

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
+1! I'm going to the sporting goods store straightaway to try that out.

Sounds a bit ugly to me. I've lately bought a "leather cover" for the MBP which of course is not leather (as it was cheap) and it forms a pocket where the front of the MBP slides in. My thinking was to just just the front part, cut the rest off (if it can be done nicely) and you end up with a "sock" type of sleeve. That would be cool.

airplaneman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
USA
I've never been bothered by the edges, but thanks for posting. :) Might come in handy if I ever suddenly get cut by the cutting edge design!

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
pneumatic-angle-grinder-271874.jpg

That is what you need.

Sorry I am being flippant, but red and sore skin! What is she doing with the mac?

I can't, for the life of me, imagine how a mac could irritate someone's skin so much.

Oh dear, I just looked and someone beat me to the angle grinder picture. At the same time I noticed that you contacted Apple. I'd love to know what you said to them.

Tom71

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
I like the fact that there are people here who really looking for help since they are affected and others just telling them to get a life, there's no problem. But maybe I'm too "sensitive" and its all in our minds ;)

Tom71

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Contact Apple?
I also did that, same answer. But basically that's what every company would do. Confirming that others may have raised same issue would be confirming a flaw or at least oversight.

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
I like the fact that there are people here who really looking for help since they are affected and others just telling them to get a life, there's no problem. But maybe I'm too "sensitive" and its all in our minds ;)

Affected by what Tom?

Furiously rubbing themselves against their notebooks?

All I said was I don't get it. I even acknowledged some people may think I was being flippant. I don't touch type, I half touch type and half hunt and peck, so I don't use a proper wrist position. I use my MBP on planes, trains, and in bed. I simply don't understand how anyone could consider that their MBP has "sharp" edges.

Incidentally I just played with Garageband. Wow it is so easy to make a dreadful sounding piece of "music", apple really do make everything easy!

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009

I agree, the MBP does taper to an edge, meaning 2 below.
But they certainly don't posses meaning 1 characteristics.

sharp | sh ärp|
adjective
1 (of an object) having an edge or point that is able to cut or pierce something : cut the cake with a very sharp knife | keep tools sharp. See note at keen .
• producing a sudden, piercing physical sensation or effect : I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my back.
• (of a food, taste, or smell) acidic and intense : sharp goats' milk cheese.
• (of a sound) sudden and penetrating : there was a sharp crack of thunder.
• (of words or a speaker) intended or intending to criticize or hurt : she feared his sharp tongue.
• (of an emotion or experience) felt acutely or intensely; painful : her sharp disappointment was tinged with embarrassment.
2 tapering to a point or edge : a sharp pencil | her face was thin and her nose sharp.
• distinct in outline or detail; clearly defined : the job was a sharp contrast from her past life | the scene was as sharp and clear in his mind as a film.
• informal (of clothes or their wearer) neat and stylish : they were greeted by a young man in a sharp suit.
3 (of an action or change) sudden and marked : there was a sharp increase in interest rates | he heard her sharp intake of breath.
• (of a bend, angle, or turn) making a sudden change of direction : a sharp turn in the river.
• having or showing speed of perception, comprehension, or response : her sharp eyes missed nothing | his old mind was not so sharp as it once was | he had a sharp sense of humor.
• quick to take advantage, esp. in an unscrupulous or dishonest way : Paul's a sharp operator.
4 (of musical sound) above true or normal pitch.
• [ postpositive, in combination ] (of a note) a semitone higher than a specified note : the song sits on E and F-sharp | the quartet in C-sharp minor.
• (of a key) having a sharp or sharps in the key signature : recorder players are most comfortable in sharp keys.

Tom71

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Affected by what Tom?
By the SHARP edges :) Not by rubbing furiously where we shouldn't, but, mostly by using the trackpad and some by typing. But we're having the same discussions over and over, reminds me of Don Quixote against the wind mills. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.