Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Navintar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
California
I'm one of those unlucky people who bought the incase rubber molded case.
After reading some threads about how it scratches the chrome bezel, I did notice some abrasions on mine.

Just today when I was cleaning my car's wheel with Never Dull, I got this idea that it might help remove the scratches on my iphone. And it did!

The trick is the carefully mask your phone by a duct tape before applying. Now I put the invisible shield on and never have to worry about it anymore.

xboxerx

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2007
This would remove all the scratches of the back silver part right? And why did u
use duct tape.

woodbutcher

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Duct tape??? I think blue 3M painter's tape would be a lot better, with no glue residue. Metal polish will take the annodizing right off the silver part, there is no repair for scratches in annodizing.

tjespo22

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Staten Island NY
went for it and tried it.. it look the silver paint off and the whole thing turned pink... im sooo mad.. idk y it would turn pink.. i guess thats the primer.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Show me some evidence of this destruction you speak of.

Pink? My phone is pink underneath that chrome? I knew it was Apple... but I didn't know it was "that" kind of Apple.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Just do the brushed metal look and never worry about scratches again. And in my opinion it looks much better than original. Put my incase back on even and if I want to clean up the bezel, a quick rub with 320 fine grit it all I have to do.

xboxerx

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2007
Just do the brushed metal look and never worry about scratches again. And in my opinion it looks much better than original. Put my incase back on even and if I want to clean up the bezel, a quick rub with 320 fine grit it all I have to do.

What do you use to make it have the brushed metal look?

Navintar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
California
Duct tape??? I think blue 3M painter's tape would be a lot better, with no glue residue. Metal polish will take the annodizing right off the silver part, there is no repair for scratches in annodizing.

I think so.. Any tape would do just fine. The only purpose for it is to mask the area that doesn't need to be exposed to all the chemical. I used duct tape because it was strong enough and there was no other tape around :p

Navintar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
California
hey navintar. if i tried using it on the back silver metal. do you think it would damage it or its worth a shot? thanks
tom

I wouldn't try that. Never Dull is meant to be used on a "shiney" metallic object. That was actually the reason why I had to mask the other part of the iphone except the chrome bezel. A word of warning though, Never Dull is actually grinding off and resurfacing to establish the shininess. I wouldn't recommend using it for a long period of time as you would end up with no bezel left!

Navintar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
California
I'm sorry that I didn't take the before/after pictures. In fact, I have never taken a single picture of my iphone since I ever got it. :(

However, I'll post a picture tomorrow just to show you the after look.

Just to confirm with you guys, I searched on apple support forum and found some people who tried Never Dull with their chrome bezel as well
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4950362&#4950362

This one does mention how it works well with the chrome bezel, but not with the metal back and apple logo.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5065558&#5065558

One more link
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4950506&#4950506
Good luck

Navintar

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
California
Here are the picture of my iphone after applying Never Dull. (I've put the "invisible shield", which is actually the BestSkinEver on)
IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

The scratches on mine was comparable to this picture.
822198148_6948098888.jpg

THIS IS NOT MY PICTURE. IT IS HERE TO DEMONSTRATE HOW BAD WAS MY SCRATCHES AS I DIDN'T TAKE ANY PICTURE OF MINE PRIOR TO THE FIX.

tderemigis

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006
i just got my iphone and the incase rubber, and was fully aware of this scratch problem. i think that these little scratches on the chrome just arent that big a deal. My case covers them up anyway :). I understand that some people are more particular than me, but i decided to not let it bother me on my iphone adter i tried so hard on my 3G iPod

tderemigis

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2006
also i dont think i'd ever be able to apply an ivisible shield. i had enough trouble with these static cling scren protectors.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i just went to four stores looking for never-dull. Three were mentioned on their site, wal-mart, home depot, and pep boys and not only do they not have it. They've never even heard of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.