Solutions to high temps while idling? 2011

auhlixer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
My new 2011 mbp 2.3ghz 15.4" idles with nothing running at 150f in osx and win 7 bootcamp.

Under load runs about 160f-180f

8gb owc ram
240gb owc merq extreme 6g osx
in optibay ocz agility 2 120gb

So far i reset smc and pram

Is there anything else i can do besides reapply thermal paste?

Jexta

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2011
Working in an Apple Service Center, I have seen a few machines lately that have been running a little hotter than the norm. This hasn't affected performance and the machine still shuts down correctly when it reaches an unsafe temperature. If you are concerned about it, get the machine back to where you bought it and get another or have it looked at.

The only problem I can see is that it may cause your machine to have component failure if the high temps are consistent over a long period of use.

auhlixer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
The fans stay at 2000rpm unless it gets to like 164f :(

Working in an Apple Service Center, I have seen a few machines lately that have been running a little hotter than the norm. This hasn't affected performance and the machine still shuts down correctly when it reaches an unsafe temperature. If you are concerned about it, get the machine back to where you bought it and get another or have it looked at.

The only problem I can see is that it may cause your machine to have component failure if the high temps are consistent over a long period of use.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
The fans stay at 2000rpm unless it gets to like 164f :(
This is generally the case if you're not using some sort of fan control, the fans will stay in their default speed (2000rpm) until they reach around 70 C (around 164 F).

As for why you're idling at those temperatures is a different problem. Even if your fans stay at 2000rpm, the temperature should eventually drop back down to 50 C.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
It has a little something to do with the fact that the manufacturing plants put far too much thermal compound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.