Solutions to missing album art in Catalina Music app?

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I finally upgraded my MBP 2015 to Catalina recently after holding off for a while, largely due to the missing album art issue, and sure enough a lot of my album art is now missing.

- All of the albums I added since 2016 are fine. The first albums with missing artwork I added in 2015, and as I go back in time, the problem becomes more and more common.

- I left it open overnight, and as far as I can tell nothing updated over that time (the newest albums with blank album art when I went to bed still were blank in the morning). Moreover it no longer reads "loading artwork" in the bottom right. So I don't think it's a matter of leaving the app open longer.

- I tried starting Music while holding option and selecting my old pre-upgrade .itl file. It went through the same process of loading album art, with the same set of albums ending up with missing art.

- A lot of my albums are obscure and/or tagged differently than they are in the iTunes store so "Get Album Artwork" won't work for those, but some of the missing albums do work with "Get Album Artwork," so that's not the problem.

- I've tried closing and restarting the app a bunch of times, to no avail.

Are there any known solutions besides manually adding art to every album that's missing it?

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
There is a setting in music’s preferences that says the app will search for / update album art. I had similar problems to you until I disabked it.

Music > Preferences > Advanced > Automatically Update Artwork

try turning that off.

3SQ Machine

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2019
Watching this thread with interest. I've had this problem since Mojave, so I don't even think this is Catalina-specific, just a macOS cluster****

Reactions: mikzn

ramparts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
There is a setting in music’s preferences that says the app will search for / update album art. I had similar problems to you until I disabked it.

Music > Preferences > Advanced > Automatically Update Artwork

try turning that off.
Thanks! That was already turned off, so that doesn't seem to be the problem in my case.

The "solution" I've ended up with for the time being is to use Retrospective to reinstall iTunes. It has all my album art, and still syncs with my iPhone. So I'll just illicitly use iTunes until Apple fixes Music (if it ever does).

Reactions: sputnikBA

coolaaron88

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thanks! That was already turned off, so that doesn't seem to be the problem in my case.

The "solution" I've ended up with for the time being is to use Retrospective to reinstall iTunes. It has all my album art, and still syncs with my iPhone. So I'll just illicitly use iTunes until Apple fixes Music (if it ever does).
How do you use Retrospective?

spankmaster79

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
For me actually a lot of album artwork did re-appear after time. But for those missing, for some it works to right click and use "Load album artwork", but for those not displaying I have to re-add the artwork from an image.

The funny thing is, that it is there. I can see it in the mini-player when playing a track from the album, but it won't show up in album view.

Had the same problem sometimes when editing my files in Windows iTunes and then switching back to my Mac which all uses the same external harddrive. But then the trick to edit all files, like setting an unused field like BPM to 1, or even just selecting all tracks in the album, click cmd+i to show info and just click ok made it reappear. This way you could even select all albums with missing artwork and the do this workaround. But in the Music app it doesn't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.