[SOLVED] 2010 MBP Dropping Frames on FCP 7

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mystikal, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Mystikal, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

So I bought a MBP last year. 15 inches. 2.66 ghz. 4 gigs ram. 5400rpm. Did I go wrong buying the 5400 RPM hdd? Im having a problem in FCP where frames will be dropped when playing back video.

The video was recorded on a Canon 2i @ 1920x1080 resolution at 28.93 fps. I dont drop frames on every single segment of clip edited in, but it has happened twice. The first time, I was able to fix by shortening a clip, this time it is happening and is very very annoying.

What are my options? Would having the files on a (5400rpm USB2) external fix this? Im planning on buying an SSD at some point. Do I just have to deal with it?

Also, would anyone be able to recommend me a 128/256 SSD for this thing?

Thanks.

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

The 5400 drive could cause that. What codec are you editing in? and is everything rendered that you are trying to play down?

3. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Everything is rendered. If by codec you mean sequence preset, then, Apple ProRes 422 HQ 1080pA24. I just found my HD was corrupt so I am going to repair it right now.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Codec doesn't mean sequence preset but rendering everything in a ProRes HQ timeline is your problem. You are making massive files that usually require a RAID to playback properly and you are gaining nothing other than headaches since your source footage is from the T2i. ProRes LT would fit the bill fine, IMO.

Transcode all your T2i footage into ProRes LT, put it all on a fast external FW800 drive and you'll be good to go.

Lethal

5. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I dont have a FW800 drive, but am now seriously considering one. How can i transcode these files? I have the individuals ones on my desktop, but I dont have the camera. Is FCP auto rendering the files? Because I haven't had anything show up with a red bar yet.

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

How did you transcode the files originally to ProResHQ?

The t2i native files are h.264. You don't want to edit with these. If I read your previous post properly, you transcoded the originals to ProResHQ (which Lethal pointed out is probably overkill) and are editing them in a ProResHQ sequence.

Is that correct? Or are you trying to edit the h.264 files in a ProRes sequence?

You can use Compressor to do your transcoding.

7. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Honestly I dont think anything was transcoded. This is where I am confused. All we did was import the files and then hit yes when that box popped up if you wanted to scale the video or something. I dont need to do any rendering at all.

Something I did a few hours ago was change the preset to... HDV 1080pA24 using the media manager and re-encoded? my files. That allowed for the Frame Loss error to happen less, but there was still one buggy part.

The sequence settings are currently set to HDTV 1080i. The compressor (under sequence settings) says H.264.

After all of this I have the files working how I want with only one frame drop and it comes out relatively clean after exporting. (and im getting a FW drive tomorrow)

8. boch82 macrumors 6502

Your biggest problem is that you are editing with H264 footage. H264 is not an editing codec and is very computer intensive. You best best is to download MPEGStreamClip which is a free program. Bring all your original media files into in and export them at ProResLT quicktimes.

Once that is done, reconnect your master clips in FCP to the transcoded files. (you will get a message saying that things dont match but just ignore it). Then change your sequence preset to ProResLT and you should have a lot more luck.

9. boch82 macrumors 6502

10. Mystikal, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

That makes sense. Im doing this for a class and the teacher didnt mention anything like that. Maybe thats because everyone else is using an iMac in our schools editing room. I will try that with the regular clips later after I have my hard drives. Thanks.

I love you. That did it. I converted the files and am having no problems so far. I also bought a FW 800 drive so I am sure that helps. Thank you!

11. duotone macrumors newbie

Just joined and sorry for jumping in to this late....

I shoot with 7D's and when working in FCut you will need to convert all footage as the others have said. I use CS5 for editing so I can use the footage raw...

However, when I have converted the footage I use the app called MPEG Streamclip. It's slick, sick and FREE.

Good luck.

Tony