Solved!: AppleStoreGenius response for 2G iPodTouch WiFi connect issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mtbdudex, Sep 24, 2008.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Well;

I've wasted countless hours on the web getting info and doing all those "suggestions" trying to get our 2G iPodTouch to connect to my home WiFi network; AppleSupport.com, here, MacFixIt, etc.
    We ordered it on 9/12, finally got it on 9/22, it was stuck in Chinese export customs clearance a few days. (per FedEx).

I use an Apple Airport Express for wireless, located in 2nd floor loft, tried within 4-6 feet of the wireless router to make sure signal strength sufficient.

I've tried wireless w/o security, and different levels of security (WEP, WPA, etc). re-start countless times, etc.

Nada, nothing works.
    This is frustrating.

So, today Wed 9/24 @ 12 noon I have a AppleStore Genius appointment (SE Michigan store), we'll see how that goes, I'll post their "suggestions".

iPodTouch "see's" my wireless network:
    [​IMG]

Same error as many-many have reported:
    [​IMG]

My MacBook connects no problem, seen here.
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned.

BTW, this is a gift for my wife and she was so excited to get it, this has dampened that somewhat.

2. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Results of store "Genius bar" visit:

The iPod Touch connected instantley to their public/open AppleStore wireless network.

We discussed and this is order of what I will do tonight:
    a) if using security should be 128bit encryption, not 64 bit, the 2nd gen does not like 64 bit. Check and change.

See if iPod Touch connects now.

b) I got a Denon hi level A/V receiver (the 4308CI) 6 months ago and it has wireless capability. At one time I may have entered the MAC address into the wireless settings (and my other computers), if so, that is why I can see the network but not connect. So, if MAC is enabled either turn it 100% off - or - for "best" security leave it on and enter the iPod Touch MAC address.

See if iPod Touch connects now.

c) I have a 2 year old Airport express b/g (not n), he said press the re-set switch on the back (take off the wall) and that will totally re-set to factory specs. Try a totally new network w/o security then.

So, I have so homework for tonight.
    Stay tuned for update after then.........

3. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Problem SOLVED!!!!

Way back in February I started using MAC addressing, because I was worried my Denon A/V might somehow open a hole for hackers, and forgot all about it until speaking with the "Genius" at the apple store

So, I entered the iPod info there and presto, hook up!!
    [​IMG]

Now, my wife has been on it for like 2 hours straight, including during dinner.
    Well, it's her gift so now she's using it.

4. kingballin20 macrumors regular

kingballin20

5. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Yes - I was there (Novi) during lunch, this is my 2nd time using the genius bar, very satisfied with their support.

I should say that prior to connection I was only getting 1 bar of WiFi signal strength even 10 feet from my wireless point, however once "in the network" that signal went to full strength and all of a sudden the iPod Touch could get signal front porch/back porch/basement. (my wireless point is in 2nd floor loft).