[solved] Appstore Showing Update For An App I Dont Have

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mystikal, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

When I woke up today and looked at my phone I saw I had an update for AIM. I tried installing the update, however the email address ISNT mine. I also DONT have the App on my phone OR itunes. I tried downloading the app through itunes, syncing, and updating, but it didnt work.

I think something happened to my phone. I try to download ONLY THE AIM app, the email comes up as "pwned@yahoo.com" however when I enter the app store settings my account shows up. My iPod touch isnt having this problem either.

Aside from restoring and rejailbreaking, anything I can do to get rid of that stupid email address? I just tried restoring (from a backup) and that didn't fix it.

2. Ruckus12 macrumors member

I also have a similar problem, an update of SKYPE shows up on app store and i don't have the app installed, when prompted to enter password the account is "igis8x@hotmail.it" but everything else is with my own account...

should i be worried?

3. beefillups macrumors newbie

A friend of yours definitely put their email address on there.

4. beefillups macrumors newbie

Maybe you both got hacked!

Or it could just be that y'all have the same IP as someone else.

Try DLing it when not on WiFi.

5. Ruckus12 macrumors member

Wierd thing is i don't have the app installed, non of my friends touched it. I think im just going to start fresh and reinstall 3.0.. when i go to voicemail it crashes anyway so i need to fix that..

6. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I just find it ironic after I read that article on engadget. NONE of my friends use yahoo. =\

Ill restore and rejailbreak later and hopefully it fixes it.

7. beefillups macrumors newbie

Are you running 3.0?

8. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Yeah yeah 3.0 JB.

9. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Under Settings->Store, does it show your correct e-mail address?

10. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Yeah it does.

11. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

The email address is the person who had my phone before me. I have a refurb phone. It's still odd how this happened overnight with an app I don't even have.

12. Surrix macrumors regular

Do you know that or is that a theory?

13. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Fact. The adress is familiar. It's just weird how it would pop up after many restores and updates.

14. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Restored TWICE and the problem is still there. Going to the genius bar...

15. lambo macrumors regular

Whoa! I can't believe the previous owner managed to get the email address "pwned@yahoo.com". Awesome.

16. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Yeah im gonna try emailing him and seeing if he can help...hopefully it still checks his email address.

17. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

My sister had a similar problem, but it was less random. Every time my sister would try to update her aim app (which she does have on her phone) it would by my email. We tried restarting the phone, signing in and out and all these things but then I remembered that I had put my aim app in her iTunes account. I had my iPhone before she did so when she got hers I dragged and dropped a few of my apps into her iTunes account. So since i bought the app I also had to update it with my password.

Your case is a little different since you don't even have the app but hope this helps a little.

18. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

It makes sense. I can understand someone doing that...however I have had the AIM app under my account in the past without this problem. It just popped up overnight. Im going to a genius bar saturday though...hopefully i can persuade them.

19. CarlyLyon macrumors member

someone hacked your phone!! or using your aim account change the passwords asap

20. cupofjoe macrumors regular

When you restored, did you set up as new phone? If you don't, it'll keep happening...

21. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

To make sure it's under your account go to the aim app and hit get info and see what account it says it's under...

22. Stunod7 macrumors member

Stunod7

LOL yeah! this must be it!

23. GADeputy macrumors newbie

GADeputy

This will happen if you plug your phone up to someone elses computer that has iTunes running. iTunes automatically switches the iTunes/Appstore account username on your iphone to whatever it's set up for on the computer that your connected to.
    I get this all the time when I jailbreak someone elses iphone/Touch. What I end up doing is connect the iPhone/Touch to one of my other computers that doesn't have an iTunes account set up on it, start iTunes on my computer, let it recognize the iPhone/Touch, and that resets it back to no account settings at all. Then once the owner connects it back to their own computer and starts iTunes it sets the account back up on the iPhone/Touch automatically.
    Works every time.

24. Mystikal thread starter macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I will have to try that. It wont sync on the other computer though right? Ill let you know how it goes.

EDIT: I tried using someone elses account info, syncing, and that didnt work. The stupid update is still there.

If I install the AIM app (downloaded from itunes) it has no user or anything. I have to setup accounts.