SOLVED: Blurry External monitor Dell 1905

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elcid, Dec 31, 2007.

1. elcid macrumors 6502

I was wondering if anyone had a good profile for this monitor. It looks great when hooked up to my windows desktop but looks like crap when the macbook runs through it. I am using the mini-dvi to vga connector and a cord to the monitors VGA connector.

The colors seem fine but it is all blurry. I want to start doing some photoshop on it and this would be very bothersome. Is it the VGA?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Can you get a colorimeter? That would build you a custom profile for it. You can also try the Color Sync software that came with your Mac. It'll get you close, but not perfect.

4. elcid thread starter macrumors 6502

I am posting this for further knowledge so disregard the bump. I solved it by switching the Refresh Rate to match that of the monitors (as an LCD I wasnt aware it had one) Once I did this the thing became much more usable, and while you can tell its on VGA, the price of a DVI KVM is crazy high so it will work for now.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

DVI is much sharper then VGA on an LCD monitor. Newer monitors due have better analog to digital convertors but it's nowhere close to a pure digital signal.

I'm in the market for a DVI/USB KVM but they're more then US$100! I just swap cables between my MacBook and Windows minitower.

It's so much cheaper

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

AHve you tried checking the native resolutions, and seeing which resolution looks best?

Also check out the new displayport tech from CES - wired/wireless USB connection to monitors up to HD definition. If they're making kits to retrofit you might want to check it out.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A USB monitor does sound like a good option as long as you don't want a large one. (1280 x 1024 per display?)

It's just hard having to buy a new monitor for that flexibility. :(

What other devices does the OP want to use on this monitor? I have two computers so a KVM is kinda the obvious choice. If they're just using a MacBook then DVI is the way to go.

8. elcid thread starter macrumors 6502

I have had the desktop for a long time and recently have been flirting with the idea of putting the MacBook on it. I have a Mini->VGA so I am using that one and my desktop holds the DVI. It isnt as sharp but it is a lot better.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Well, from what i've read it can do 1080p. Check out the Kensington displays, Samsung has one - Display Port i think it's called.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

DisplayPort is a different connector entirely.

DisplayLink has my interest though. ;)

If you can game over video compressed over USB at 1680 x 1050 I'm happy. It looks like they already have a USB to DVI adapter as well but that's not what's need in this situation.