[SOLVED] Cannot do anything in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Coolnat2004, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

So, I upgraded Leopard (was going to archive and install, but missed the option..) so it booted up and gave me a constant beachball (spotlight was apparently indexing).

I think it finished that, but now I still have a beachball, but I can mouse over the dock and open one application, which loads and then freezes immediately after. I don't know what to do.

(solved below)

2. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

Maybe you should try to do the archive and install...

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Try restarting.

4. Coolnat2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Can I do that now, and still keep all of the application data and preferences? It only replaces the 'System' folder, right?

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I did an Archive and Install originally and have the same issue. I think it maybe related to a startup script/app but I thought I dumped all my non-Apple related startup stuff.

Odd thing is I can open up apps, but the finder is completely unresponsive -- even says as much in the Force Quit app. If I try to relanch it just goes bad again. Also my HDs don't show on the desktop. I think I'll have to just do an erase and install tomorrow but if anyone has an idea of what might be hanging up the system please post. (I don't have APE installed, so it's not that).

6. David R macrumors 6502

I started a thread about this. Reinstalling Leopard with "Archive and Install (preserving users)" took care of it for me as well.

7. Coolnat2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Well, I'm starting an archive and install. All of my important stuff is backed up, so I'm not totally worried.

8. Coolnat2004 thread starter macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Archive and install didn't work, but I found the solution on the Apple Discussions boards.

Boot up to the Leopard Install disc, and open Terminal from the utilities menu. Then, navigate to your hard drive.

Code:
    cd "/Volumes/Macintosh HD"
    Now, go to the Application Support folder so we can disable DivXNetworks

Code:
    cd "Library/Application Support"
    Then, rename DivXNetworks so it will not launch with the system.

Code:
    mv DivXNetworks DivXNetworks.prev
    Then, boot into your system.

This solved my problem immediately!