[SOLVED] Cmd-Del Desktop deletion delay

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wankey, Nov 12, 2008.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

I have a problem with OS X. It started recently and I can't find out what made it start doing it.

Whenever I delete anything off my desktop, nothing happens for approximately 1-5 seconds and then the file gets deleted. This is very annoying because a lot of the times I press cmd-del, and it's usually instantaneous.

Has anyone else experienced this? Moving, Deleting and copying are all affected but get this, this is only affected if you do things from the desktop to the Finder window. Once inside the Finder window, deletion is instant and everything is back to default.

I installed Pathfinder 5 last night, and I appZapped it so I don't know if it was that problem. I installed Parallels 4.0 today but I also appZapped that. The problem remains.

Please help!

I am using 10.5.5 on a MBP 4,1 with 4 gigs of ram 2.4ghz penryn, 200gig harddrive, rest is default.

_____---____--____

This issue has been solved, please look at the bottom of my thread

2. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have created a new account on my MBP and it doesn't have this issue... so I'm thinking it's in my account alone. Is there anyway to reset Finder to its original or reset OS X to its default starting without losing my iTunes library, iPhoto library etc?

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Is it literally just deleting files on your Desktop that have this delay and not files in other locations? That would be weird indeed.

The first thing I would do would be to delete a file using a Terminal command, to see if that works without a delay. If that works normally then I'd try re-installing Pathfinder and use that, to see if it's just Finder that's the problem.

The Finder preference file is located as follows:
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

The other old standby is to repair your permissions to see if that helps

4. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did some further research. In a completely new account these are the processes running:

On my account however, these are the processes running:

How do I remove these processes?

This is right after startup, my account processes sometimes hit 80. I do't know why there are 4 dashboard clients running shouldn't be just one?

5. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried both, no luck. Only deleting from desktop is slow. Everything else is very fast.

6. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a