[Solved] Crashed programs contents Finder windows opens on startup

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tezro, Aug 8, 2011.

1. tezro, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

tezro macrumors regular

tezro

When I had Steam installed I was installing Portal 2, but during the download (was playing WoW and some music and had there programs open) the machines crashed/hang.

Restarting the machine was fine, but now every single time I start the mac it open the contents folder of Steam.app.

I tried closing the windows and restarting with the option disabled to reopen the windows. No luck.

Before I remove Steam I am wondering if anyone has an idea how I can solve this problem?

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If you had to do a hard reboot then I suggest that you first do a repair hard drive thru disk utility. I would also try running something like DiskWarrior. I have seen many issues arise due to hard rebooting the computer. Just a thought.

3. tezro thread starter macrumors regular

tezro

Can always run the repair option. Never used DiskWarrior before, will try that if the first option doesn't work.

4. tezro thread starter macrumors regular

tezro

Just ran the verify disk, but everything is alright on the disk.
    Even did a permissions verify and repair, but nothing special from that too.

Restart still opens the contents of steam.app.

I could try DiskWarrior, but if that is only a advanced version of DiskUtility's verify/repair, then I don't see that working either.

Think I will just remove the Steam client and re-install it.
    Not a big deal, got a very fast internet connection, so it's back in a bit.
    Just hoped to avoid it.

Thanks for the reply anyway!

5. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

This'll likely work:
    The "Saved Application State" folder is in your (invisible) user Library.

Go To Folder from the Finder's "Go" Menu will get you there if you type in "Saved Application State".

6. tezro thread starter macrumors regular

tezro

Tried what the link said to do, but even after removing the Finder saved state folder, the contents still show up on a login.

Very interesting link though. Now at least I know where to look for saved states :)

7. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Go to System Preferences->Accounts. Click on "login items" for the account your are using. If the Steam app is listed removed it.

8. tezro thread starter macrumors regular

tezro

Do'h! There isn't the Steam.app to run, but there is the Steam folder to be opened.

I guess that should have been the Steam.app, but since it crashed it someone didn't put in the .app extension in.

Thanks a lot for that :D
    Problem solved.

9. yukio macrumors regular

You saved my Sunday

Let me second that "Doh!"

Started happening to me about a month ago, but I reboot my Mac so rarely I kept forgetting the funky Steam.app behavior on startup.

I didn't connect a .pkg file view opening with an application launch at startup, but lo and behold I had the folder in my startup items, too.

Thanks for the great tip!

10. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Glad I could help.