Solved: Display will not sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lannister80, Apr 9, 2010.

1. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I have a new issue with my Mac Pro (3,1 - 2008), it just popped up (and I don't think it was caused by 10.6.3, I remember this working correctly after it was installed)

I have two monitors connected via DVI to a flashed XFX 4870. The 4870 has never given me any trouble.

In the Energy Saver settings, I usually set the machine to never sleep, and the displays to sleep after 5 minutes. This used to work great, never had any trouble with it, ever. Now, the displays don't go to sleep after 5 minutes, they just stay on with a screensaver.

I tired the following:

1) Clicked "restore defaults" button in Energy Saver control panel, then set my setting the way I usually do.

2) Set a hotcorner to put the displays to sleep. This worked once or twice, then the hotcorner stopped working.

3) Rebooted a bunch of times.

I have not yet reset PRAM or SMC because this is a monitor/display sleep issue, not a machine sleep issue (machine sleeps just fine).

I have a full SuperDuper backup of my 10.6.2 system and when I boot into that, display sleep works just fine. But I could *swear* that display sleep was working OK in 10.6.3 before this issue happened. I think...

Any ideas? Can I blow away some plist files to reset this?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. lannister80 thread starter macrumors 6502

lannister80

Really? Alright, I'll give it a go. Any particular error/correction I should look for in the output?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just let it repair them, then reboot and see if the display works. Seen several cases where this has done the trick. No need to look for any special correction it does

5. lannister80 thread starter macrumors 6502

lannister80

It worked! I am shocked and amazed. Thanks!

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Great to hear that! Your welcome :) Keep that in mind if you face the same issue in future

7. dnlcorrea macrumors newbie

8. lannister80 thread starter macrumors 6502

lannister80

Well, it worked for about 1 or 2 reboots, and now they won't sleep again.

Repairing permissions sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't. Repairing permissions doesn't report anything being fixed, even when it does help.

Anyway know what the specific issue might be?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try reseting PRAM and SMC

Might be an issue in the display's drivers too