[SOLVED] Does my "Leopard" look tike a "Tiger"?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by upaymeifixit, May 13, 2009.

1. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It has always been this way, but I have covered it up with skinning programs. It's starting to bug me a bit.
    Now this is my first mac, and I've had it for a little over a year. So I'm currently running 10.5.7.

The problem is, some applications seem to have a "Tiger like?" interface. I only know what I know about Tiger from screenshots, but does this look anything like tiger? Not every application looks like this. The applications in the picture are System Preferences and Address Book.

[​IMG]

What caught my eye are the buttons below the "Stoplight".
    they look, uh... Shiny, and big. The other thing is some of the apps (like System Preferences) Have lines (Dark Light..) in the same grey bar at the top. (Sorry, I forget the name.) It is more visible when active.

So is this what Tiger was? Why is it doing this?
    Let me know is any more screen shots are needed.
    Thanks!

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

With the pinstripes in background windows, and the more roundy corners, it does tend to look like Tiger and Leopard had some kind of a retarded baby :p

Interesting look :)

3. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I sometimes wish they hadn't changed the interface so much with leopard. I miss the stripes and the brushed metal a bit as well.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Liger it is. :D

5. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

did it come with leopard preinstalled or was it upgraded from tiger?

that looks really weird. leopard's toolbar buttons are not 'glossy' like that.

perhaps you need to reformat. :rolleyes:

6. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Its not exactly like tiger, its like other said, a mix of the two that really doesn;t work well. Heres what Tiger looked like.

[​IMG]

7. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

So you've been skinning? You probably disabled CoreUI to apply the skins.

Try enable it by doing:

defaults write -g AppleUseCoreUI -bool YES

In the console.

8. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Thanks for the info everybody. I appreciate it.

So I tried out The Flashing Fi's idea (in terminal) and it got rid of the glossy buttons and pin striping. However, now the same part of the windows that were striped, are now white. As you can see in the screenshot I have System Preferences in the front this time, and Safari 4 behind it.

[​IMG]

It looks like System Preferences (and windows with the same problem) is not changing when active, but this is not the case. It takes the same actions as a regular window would, but it's white[-ish].

Only when Safari is not active it does this. I haven't noticed any other applications doing this. If i roll over one of the bookmarks, it looks like the Games, Tech, and The Joy Of Tech! bookmarks. When I make Safari active everything but the bookmarks go back to normal. The bookmarks require another roll over while active.

The weird thing about the command working is I JUST re-installed (long story) and did not restore anything from my backup (extension to the long story). The only thing I did was run CandyBar to change my dock and icons real quick. I can't remember if it was messed up before CandyBar.

I am going to do a side by side comparison and see if I can get any further with this. I could use some screenshots of some tiger apps if anyone has them. Again I can post more screen shots if needed.

Thanks.

9. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

What you've shown definitely looks like some sort of weird bastarization of Tiger and not Leopard. Do you have a legit retail disc or if you're using restore discs, the right ones for your machine? Or maybe Candybar messed things up? (except that it can't theme the OS!) It does seem like (another) reinstall is in order.

11. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Awww... Do I have to?

I so do not want to re-install again. I just re-installed last night. I don't think the problem is bad enough to do that again. Sorry I forgot your question VTECaddict, It came with Leopard Pre-installed. Yes I have whatever discs came with it. Where is it pulling these images from anyways?

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't bother with skinning because half the time you end up with a "retarded baby" version of both Leopard and Tiger as someone put it. The CoreUI stores pics in the HD > Library. Somewhere in there.