[SOLVED] FaceTime for Mac not working as expected. Wierd things happening...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlueHedgehog, Oct 29, 2010.

1. BlueHedgehog, Oct 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

BlueHedgehog macrumors member

I have a problem with the new beta of FaceTime for Mac. Right now, all I can do with it is display a window of my webcam. I can't click on Preferences in the menu bar and I also notice that "Sign Out" is grayed out. I haven't entered an Apple ID because I wasn't prompted for one.:confused:

I have recently checked Apple Software Update and I have all updates installed. I also have OS X 10.6.4 installed.

Any ideas?

P.S.: Take a look at the attachment and you might be able to get what I mean.

Attached Files:

2. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Well, you can't click on Sign out or Preferences until you actually sign in. However, as seeing you don't get prompted to sign in, that seems different. Seeing the screenshot, it seems that you don't get the rest of the window. Could you provide me with more information about your problem?

3. BlueHedgehog thread starter macrumors member

Some info

If the FaceTime window isn't showing, then when I go to the menu bar and click about, i get the box. But when I close the about box, FaceTime quits.

If I do the same thing with the FaceTime window showing, FaceTime stays open.

4. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

That's really weird.
    Have you reinstalled it? Try uninstalling it with AppCleaner and removing all associated files, then reinstalling it.

If you already reinstalled it, then maybe you can test it on other systems. For example, install Snow Leopard on an external drive, and boot off that, then test it, does the problem remain? You can always report a bug to Apple by going to the menu bar, clicking FaceTime, then clicking "Provide FaceTime Feedback".

Hope this helps. Please share your results.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Another weird thing also, if you take FaceTime out of the applications folder it won't work (at least for me). It gives an error saying "this isn't the right software" <--well something close to that.

6. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

That is really weird. It works for me. Have you tried reinstalling?

Maybe if you did a Time Machine Backup, then installed 10.6.4 again, along with all other updates, that might work?

Hope this helps.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah and I got the same issue. Maybe when it's out of beta all the bugs will be fixed.

8. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I hope so, I think it's got potential. I hope it gets integrated to iChat someday.

9. BlueHedgehog, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

BlueHedgehog thread starter macrumors member

Solved!

Hi guys! Sorry for not posting in this thread for a long time.

Anyway, I finally solved the sign-in problem by deleting the ".GlobalPreferences.plist" file in "/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences"

Also, no reinstall needed!

I got the solution from a thread in the official Apple Discussions support page. (I'm not sure whether I can post a URL to the thread)

Attached Files:

10. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

That's great! It's working perfectly?

I think you can post the link, but you might need to check the rules.

Also, I've been browsing the Apple FaceTime forums for several hours yesterday, so it's interesting that you found it. ;)