(Solved!) I need some help setting up my Airport Express for AirTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by omgwut, Apr 19, 2009.

1. omgwut macrumors 6502

omgwut

Hey guys,

I just bought a Netgear WGR614 802.11g wireless router and installed it with my cable modem easy. I want to use it as a wireless access point to stream my iTunes music to my living room stereo and I have a new Airport Express and an RCA cable to use as a wireless client. The help manual says all this marketing hyperbole about how I should get an Aiport/Airport Extreme-equipped Mac to use Express and I don't have one, but the router is updated to the latest v9 firmware and supports WDS so that shouldn't matter.

Anyway, I ran the disc and installed Airport Utility and now I'm just trying to get the router to see the Airport Express. I keep scanning in Airport Utility and it doesn't see anything. The led on the Express is blinking amber. I'm testing it plugged into the AC right next to the computer and it still can't find it. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

If your computer doesn't have wireless built in, you need to run an ethernet cable from the router to the express to get it set up. You can put the express somewhere convenient to set it up, and then move it later.

Then set the express to join your network, and put in the appropriate network name and security settings.

once it's configured, you can unplug the ethernet cable, and move the express to its final location. Plug it in, and within 30 to 60 seconds you should have a solid green light.

3. omgwut thread starter macrumors 6502

omgwut

Okay, I connected the Express to my router with an ethernet cable. Airport Utility ran the setup process, I selected 'join my network' and the LED turned green. Entered all the WEP and key stuff. Everything was fine until I disconnected the ethernet cable, and now when I plug the Express back into the wall wireless it can't find it again. The light keeps blinking amber and it doesn't show up in the Airport Utility. I let it sit for several minutes like that and it doesn't change?

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Try using the airport utility with computer that has WIFI, search the network that are available and if the airport express shows up connect to it. Then use the utility to do your settings.

5. omgwut thread starter macrumors 6502

omgwut

Never mind, I figured it out! I shut down the cable modem and router and restarted them, and gave it a minute again and AirPort Utility found it no problem. Now it stays connected if I unplug it and move it around.

Thanks for your help you guys, I appreciate it. Whooo. :D