Solved:iPhone 4 driving me nuts - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vijayrv, Jan 19, 2011.

1. vijayrv, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

vijayrv macrumors newbie

Today morning, I was on a call and had switched on the speaker. All of a sudden, I couldnt hear anything. The minute I switched off the speaker and used the internal speaker, everything was audible. From then on, life has been horrible!!!.
    The external speaker just doesnt seem to work. Cant hear my phone ring, cant listen to songs - Nothing. But, I can use the phone, as the internal speaker works fine. Sound works through a headset.

I have tried re-setting the phone, restoring it. Also restored in DFU mode. NOTHING works.
    The other strange thing I have observed is that when there is an incoming call and if I press the volume button, it cuts off the vibration also. I noticed this only now.

I bought the phone in Singapore and am currently in India. Apple support guys have just asked me to take it back to Singapore (which I cannot) because the iPhone 4 is not launched officially in India.

Pls note this is not the typical ringer (headphones) problem which can be solved by inserting and removing the headphones a couple of times.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR iphone's external speaker not working. Cannot take it to an apple store. Need some other great ideas!

Solution: Plugged my cars aux cable in the iphone's headset. Now when someone calls, the call comes through the car speaker. When the phone was ringing (not answered), plugged the aux cable out and voila, phone was ringing through the speakers!!!

2. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

I had the same problem for about the first month I had mine. I don't know what i did but it must have fixed itself. Do you have the most recent updates on the phone? Sorry I can't help more..

3. vijayrv thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. I am on 4.2.1. Not jail-broken. Phone is factory unlocked. Stock phone, no modifications whatsoever. Thanks anyways

4. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know it's not your main issue but the thig about the vibrator turning off when you press the volumebuttons, is just how it's supposed to be.

I guess there's a hardware failure with your external speaker. And apple is perfectly correct when telling you to go back to Singapore (or any other country that officially sells the iPhone 4) to have it fixed.
    That's the downside to purchasing it in another country and bring it home, if it isn't officially sold there.

5. vijayrv thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Josie. But is there anything that I can do? Like replacing some parts etc? Can it be done by myself? I know it voids warranty, but I dont have an option.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

cant you just ship it back to apple? if your phone is all legal I wouldnt think it would be a problem. especially if you shipped it back to the country you bought it from. just a thought....

7. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Just checking, did you do a restore as a new phone?