SOLVED- iTunes not recognizing music and apps- view for solution

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NBarnes21, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NBarnes21, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

NBarnes21 macrumors member

I did the latest iTunes update last friday, and now more than half of my music isn't showing up in iTunes- the files are all still there in the iTunes music folder but not in the browsing directory. Says my total library size is 14.41 GB but I have over 55 GB in my iTunes music folder. Also doesn't list a TON of apps I've bought and they've now been removed from my iPhone after syncing. What could be happening here?

2. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

3. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

does anyone have any suggestions? This is bad, I lost a ton of apps on my phone, and probably the save data that was with them. Not cool.

4. LaWally macrumors 6502a

If the physical files are still available, you should be able to use File -> Add to Library to make them available to iTunes. Or alternatively you could copy the files to the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder, then stop/start iTunes.

Does your iTunes installation have the "iTunes Media" folder structure?

5. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. So would I need to individually go through everything and find what's missing and manually do the Add To Library command? I don't see an "Automatically Add To iTunes" folder- I have the iTunes folder under music, then there's several folders in there- apps, music, genius data, album artwork, etc. I have had this library since '06 or so.

6. LaWally macrumors 6502a

The Automatically ..." folder is under ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media, so if you don't see it you must have the older iTunes folder structure.

Just to check a couple of things, what are the iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> iTunes Media Folder location and the "Copy files ..." checkbox settings? Does the iTunes Media Folder location match where your physical files are located?

Also, were you upgrading to iTunes 10.6.1? From which version?

7. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, 10.6.1, from whatever the previous version was. I regularly do all software updates. Everything checks out in preferences, it's directing it to the right spot and everything. Very confusing.

8. NBarnes21 thread starter macrumors member