{SOLVED} Macbook Will Not Start... >:(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tsice19, May 12, 2008.

1. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Yesterday, after using my Macbook as I normally would, I restarted it. After restarting however, I noticed that the computer was stuck on the Grey Apple screen with a spinning gear. After about three minutes of that, it went to a blue apple screen. I retryed it several times, and on the occasion, I would see a black mouse. No progress.

So, I followed all the directions here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303234

Nothing. (Thought process: "Apple, I though these things never crashed!?!?!)

So, taking matters into my own hands, I:

Booted into the install cd/disk utility and:

-Selected Macintosh HD, click on the first aid tab, and repaired permissions and the drive (which reported everything was fine:

-Then I went to install cd/reset password and re-set the pasword for my account.

I restarted, and still nothing.
    Holding down shift at boot just speeds up the fan (no safe mode)
    And when I boot in verboose (I think that's what it's called, its where it shows all the lines of code instead of the spinning gear) there are no reported errors.

---

So, how do I back up all my personal files (apps, music, files, pictures, documents, programs) and get to fix this.

I do have all my music on my iPod touch, which is jailbroken, so the music doesn't neccesarily need to be backed up as I can getr it off.

Also, I have the file vault on, since day one, so it may be hard to get my files.

----

I have no problem taking it to the Apple store, as long as they don't read all my personal info, apps, music, etc;. It's a new machine and still under warranty (but no apple care)

If anyone can help me, that'd be great.

-Tim

PS: For $1,500 dollars, this computer shouldn't be crashing.

EDIT: If you found this thread by searching and are having a similar problem, here's how I fixed it:

I did an archive install as detailed here

2. Superdelphinus macrumors regular

3. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

$1500? The santa rosa 2ghz macbook cost $1099, you got ripped off.

Yes it will crash, its a computer, if you spent $20,000 dollars it would still crash, the macs dont crash thing is a myth, its the same parts as in a PC.

Sorry but the only advice I can give is to take it into Apple, its still under warranty, don't worry about it.

5. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

What's the purpose of a comment like that? Thanks for the help.

I called them up...

$1,099+Upgrades+Printers+Accessories= $1,500. Is it necessary to tell me I got ripped off? Just help me fix my friggen computer.
    ------------------

OK, so now that I'm done replying, I called Apple and they had me do an archive install with OS X. Fixed the problem.

Took a bit though.

6. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i got this little black box i call it black box of death it makes u shut down ur mac happened to me once on my macbook and once on a intel imac at school