[solved]MBP Freezes every time I close the lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cinder01, Aug 11, 2010.

1. cinder01 macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook pro I bought used 6 months ago. It would about 3 years old running OSX 10.6.4 with 4g ram and a fresh battery. Now my problem is all of a sudden every time I close the lid (or use the menu) to sleep it totally locks up. The sleep light stays lit the whole time (no pulsing) when I open the lid to wake it the light dims a bit but the screen stays black. End up having to hard boot it! And then it takes 5 minutes to boot ontop of it all. When booting it gets to a blueish gray screen and hangs there for 3 or 4 mins. Any ideas?

2. celticpride678

Sounds like it's a failing hard drive or something corrupt with the OS. Have you tried repairing disk permissions? Repairing the disk? Archiving and Installing?

3. cinder01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the repair permissions, I'm new to macs so I've been searching online tried a few things, reset the pram, changed the hibernate mode.

4. SOULFLY macrumors newbie

SOULFLY

test in a new user, see if the problem re-occurs - might be system wide issue or a user specific issue! ;)

5. cinder01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so I created another account and it went to sleep just fine. Funny thing is now it sleeps on the admin account too. We'll see for how long. Thanks

6. cinder01 thread starter macrumors newbie

update! Still problems. Last night I reset the pmu and pram. Repaired permissions. Closed the lid and sleep light came on solid and bright, open the lid the screen stays black, no responce from the mouse or keyboard. Sleep light is still on but dim. Left the lid open and by morning it had woken up finally. Any ideas?

7. cinder01 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. cinder01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved the problem. Did about 4 full days a searching and found an article somewhere about the fire wire ports being bad and causing problems. Removed the .kext file for the firewire now it all works fine but the firewire port. But I can live with that.

9. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

10. cinder01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well its been 2 weeks now other than no fire wire all is well. The file I deleted is IOFireWireFamily.kext. I copied it to another file on my comp just in case. Also I was told you might have to delete it again after some updates.