SOLVED: mystery account after applecare repair?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rosh325, Sep 21, 2007.

1. rosh325 macrumors regular

Hey all,
    I just had my SR MBP sent in for a screen replacement (to get rid of my yellow Samsung). At my login display, there is now a user called "other...". If you click on it, it prompts for a user name and password. I have tried to find this account under "accounts" in the system preferences but it is not listed. Nor have a found an option to disable it elsewhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

does it show up in the "users" folder?

if not, enable the finder to show hidden files. See what is there

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

"Other..." is not a user. "Other..." is a means of logging in a user name that is not listed in your main user list. For example, OS X supports network-based users, much like the way Windows Domains work.

If you go into your /Users folder, and all you see is the folder for your user name, and one called "Shared", then there is only your user name on the computer.

Don't worry about it.

4. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply. I do not see it in the users folders. Being new to OSX, I do not know how to tell finder to show me hidden files. Is there an easy way to do it without 3rd party apps?

I'm not worried, it just wasn't there before and it's kind of annoying to look at. That's all

5. lostless macrumors 6502

It could mean that the root account is active. Root is more powerful than admin and can do anything, regardless of permissions.

6. rosh325 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks lostless (and everyone else who posted). I looked in netinfo (under utilities) and saw that the root account was indeed active. I have disabled it and that "user" is gone. Thanks for the help.

-Solved