(Solved!) No access to second account after upgrading to snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ish, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I have another user on our network with an administrator account on my MBP, who normally logs on remotely. After upgrading to 10.6 there's no remote access to their account. When I tried to access the account from the machine, I get into the account but everything is unresponsive and the only way out is to turn the computer off using the on/off button.

Things are getting a bit desperate! Can you help????? Please . . .?

2. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

There's not nearly enough information for anyone here to do anything. Is the user still showing up as an administrator in the Accounts panel? Have you disabled all startup items for that user?

For starters, go to the system utilities folder, click on console. From console, select 'all messages' and then in the search box type in the login name of the user with the problem.

Report the results back here.

The most likely thing is a permission problem, but you have not provided any log data, or even explained how they are accessing your box over the network (SSH, etc) and what kind of error/restriction message they are getting upon login.

3. Ish thread starter macrumors 68000

Ish

Thanks for your help. As you can probably guess, I'm not the technical one around here. However, we did find a solution and I'll quote from the one on our network who's more savvy than me about these things in case it helps anyone:

As a developer of software that runs on multiple platforms (Mac, Linux, Windows, RS6000, HP, etc) I need to login to the Mac development system from a terminal emulator running elsewhere within our network.

This all worked fine until we upgraded to Snow Leopard. After the upgrade all attempts at logging in produced "Login incorrect".

A lengthy call with Apple support failed to resolve the problem but one of our business partners with detailed knowledge of ssh identified the cause. It seems that the upgrade modifies the /etc/sshd_config file. The line that sets the PasswordAuthentication parameter needs to be amended to read
    PasswordAuthentication yes
    and the system restarted.