Solved? : Power draw is higher under Lion or what is this?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zotaccian, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Zotaccian, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

So, today I upgraded to newer version of OS, from Snow Leopard to Lion and I noticed something which atleast to me is new (I have never owned Macbook newer than this which is 2008). Battery has already been charged but the charging led stays red (when using Snow Leopard this didn't happen).

When I remove battery the machine enters into sleep mode and I cannot wake it up by pressing power button, only if I insert battery it will wake up. I can't be 100% sure but I think I have remove battery under Snow Leopard also and it did not behave like this. The battery on the other hand is old and has many load cycles (original Apple battery) and charger is also same age (original Apple charger).

So is this normal or is my battery and/or charger starting to die? Or is this because of Lion? I already did SMC (or SMU, can't remeber which one it was in Intel machines) reset as well as PRAM reset.

Well, I shut down the computer, disconnected the Magsafe charger for a while. Connected it back, no led at all. Powered on the machine, still no led. Disconnected the charger, flipped it and connected again and there was the green led.

Well, solved, I guess?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think you may have either a failing battery, or the power adapter is not working properly.
    Try this: Shut your MacBook down (off)
    Disconnect the power adapter, and remove the battery.
    Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds, then release.
    Connect the power adapter, do NOT put the battery in yet.
    Within a few seconds, the power adapter plug LED should light up, and it should be green. If it is either orange or red, then there's something wrong with the adapter, or the internal power circuit.
    If the light DOES come on green, then press and release the power button.
    Press and hold Option-Command-P and R. You should hear the boot chime sound. Continue to hold the same 4 keys until you hear the boot chime two more times, then release the keys to allow your MacBook to boot normally.
    If you don't get a chime at all, and there's no indication of any power, then I suggest that you find a different Magsafe power adapter to try. That may be all you need.
    If your MacBook does start, and you get to the desktop, NOW insert the battery, and watch for the power adapter light to change color. If the battery is not above 95% charge, then you should see the light change to orange, indicating that the battery is charging.
    How many Charge Cycles? Over 300 would be your battery living on borrowed time. The OTHER number that you want to see is the Full Charge Capacity. A good, new MacBook battery from that era would show at least 5200 mAh.
    Reasonable full charge for that age would be between 2000 and 4000 mAh.
    "not so good" would be less than 1500 mAh.

3. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Hi, I managed to "fix" by tinkering with it a bit.

My battery is very old and has over 1700 load cycle but because the machine still states that the condition is normal and because the battery still holds charge I haven't considered replacing it. I know that Apple states 300 cycles to be the "limit".

But now the led is green again, I dunno what that was. Also now when I disconnect the batteyr the machine does not go to sleep (tried quickly).