[Solved] Quicktime X or Quicktime 7 Pro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SimonBS, Jan 25, 2010.

1. SimonBS macrumors regular

SimonBS

Hi.

I have bought a Quicktime Pro license and thought that I could use it in the version of Quicktime which comes with the computer but I see no registration menu.

I've searched and found out that Apple introduced a new version of Quicktime - a 10th version but it basically has less feautres than the 7th version. So I will have to install Quicktime 7 to get my pro license working and get the features, right?
    But when trying to install Quicktime 7 I get an error, that a newer version - Quicktime X - is installed on the machine.

How can I get access to the pro features then?

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The Quicktime Pro licence is for QT7. Snow Leopard comes with QuickTime X - You can use your Leopard installation discs to install QT 7, then register the Pro licence. It's possible.

For those wondering about why there is a difference - http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/09/01/inside-mac-os-x-snow-leopard-quicktime-x/

For now - QT7 at the very least offers more options for Save As (exporting in different formats) on files.

3. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Okay. Sounds great. But do you know, if I will be able to have both verisons installed?
    Actually I like QTX for playing movies but as you said, QT7 offers more export options - and that's actually exactly what I need at the moment.

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Yes, you can have both versions installed at the same time.

5. SimonBS thread starter macrumors regular

SimonBS

Thanks. Problem is solved by your advice.