(SOLVED) Reorganizing music from "Music Collection" folder to "iTunes Media" folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ryuukumori, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Okay, so here is my problem with iTunes.

I have music with correct IDE tags in a "Music Collection" folder, though they are all unorganized and in sub folders. These folders have names like "Other iTunes", "More Music", "New Music", etc. I would like to reorganize all this music into one iTunes folder. I have gone into preferences and tried checkmarking the boxes "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when to library". My iTunes Media folder is a fresh new folder in "My Music". When I check that exact location, I see none of my music has moved there. All I see is an empty "Automatically Add to iTunes" folder. All my files are still in the unorganized "Music Collection" folder.

What can I do to literally move all my unorganized music files from this folder to a completely fresh and new iTunes Media folder, all with very organized sub folders categorized by artist and/or album? My main goal is to make an organized and updated library, because I spent a good amount of time deleting duplicates that have not gone to the recycle bin (and it would take FOREVER to find all those duplicates and delete them permanently). Thanks.

2. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved. For anyone who wants to know how to do this, I figured out a crazy solution!

1. Go through the pain-staking process to finalize your iTunes library AS IS with your unorganized files through iTunes (getting rid of duplicates, fixing genres, spelling errors, etc).

2. Make a new folder on the desktop, any name you want. (I used "iTunes FINAL")

3. Drag and drop all the files from music to this folder. Let it copy.

4. Once done, delete the songs in iTunes.

5. Open Edit>Preferences>Advanced. Make sure the checkboxes "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" are checked, and that the iTunes Media folder location is simple (I used the iTunes>iTunes Media folder for this).

6. Re-add your music files from the desktop to iTunes. In this process, the files will copy themselves to an organized folder you designated in the advanced tab.

7. Once done, delete the desktop folder with the music and your old music folder (In my case, I deleted the "iTunes FINAL" and the "Music Collection" folders). You now have all organized music in the iTunes Media folder. (If you want to make changes to any song, like album, artist, genre, etc, these changes will automatically organize within the iTunes Media folder. That is, folders will recreate and replace any changes you make, so you will never have to worry about a cluttered mess).

Hope this helps!

3. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

4. Kevin Paquet macrumors member

Sounds crazy indeed, and I thought I was the only one with this kind of problem. haha :D:D