[SOLVED] SFOTT usb key not bootable Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by donjames, Jul 26, 2015.

1. donjames, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

donjames macrumors member

Hi,

I have attempted to created a new SFOTT usb key on my Macpro 1,1 that is running os x 10.7 Lion using

Tiamo's sfott.app. I am trying to install Mavericks on this machine.

The usb key is not bootable.

I looked at the script and found these errors:

[replace boot.efi]
    check if Tiamo's boot.efi is there
    No (graphic) boot.efi found in Working Directory
    downloading boot efi file from macrumors
    from http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=449242
    Credits tiamo http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=460956 [|] unzip archive into working directory
    ditto: Couldn't read PKZip signature
    ls: /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig/boot.efi: No such file or directory
    No (verbose) boot.efi found in Working Directory
    downloading boot efi file from macrumors
    from http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=449107
    Credits tiamo http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=460956 unzip archive into working directory
    ditto: Couldn't read PKZip signature
    ls: /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefiv/boot.efi: No such file or directory
    listing original boot.efi files
    /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
    /Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
    unlocking /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

cp: /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig/boot.efi: No such file or directory
    cp: /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig/boot.efi: No such file or directory
    relocking new new /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
    chmod: /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi: No such file or directory
    chflags: /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi: No such file or directory

listing boot.efi files

ls: /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi*: No such file or directory
    ls: /Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi*: No such file or directory

Operation done
    ############ end of errors ##############

I have two questions:

1) If I were to download boot.efi to my computer, where would I place it so that sfott.app could find it?

2) Is there a revised sfott.app script that will download boot.efi?

Regards,

Don James

2. donjames thread starter macrumors member

I found the answer.
    I copied boot.efi to /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig and to /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefiv.
    sfott.app creates these two directories on the Lion hard drive. I had to run sfott.app once so that these two directories were created. Next, I copied boot.efi to these two directories, then I ran sfott.app again. This time sfott.app found boot.efi and therefore, did not attempt to download it from the internet. I had to open a terminal window and log in as root in order to copy boot.efi. SFOTT now shows up in System Preferences->Startup Disk. I selected SFOTT and then clicked on Reboot. The machine rebooted and started the Mavericks install.

I hope this helps someone else who is having the same difficulty.

Regards,

Don James

3. mrfrantastic macrumors newbie

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I searched the whole web and this solution worked! Even with Mountain Lion instead of Mavericks.

Again: if you encounter the problem that you cannot boot a disk you created with SFOTT: start from scratch BUT right after starting SFOTT (it creates the tmp-folders on startup), copy boot.efi in the directories /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig and /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefiv.
    After that just continue with the creation of your disk as described in all the other tutorials on the web.

Thanks again, mate!

4. donjames thread starter macrumors member

You are welcome and have a wonderful day.

Regards,

Don James

5. ssprod macrumors newbie

Greetings, where do I locate "boot.efi"? thanks!