Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antdgar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Hi, I want to get around my ISP's firewall which blocks almost everything. I know I can do thi using SSH and port forwarding.

I found a software for OS X that gives me the right command:

Code:
ssh -N -p 22 -c 3des -D 1080 admin@server -R 31313/localhost/31313

This works, HOWEVER the remote port forwarding of 31313 does NOT work...

I want my server to listen on port 31313 for connections, and then forward them to my computer.
Anyone know how to do this???

My ISP blocks all incoming connections.

Thanks.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Hi, I want to get around my ISP's firewall which blocks almost everything. I know I can do thi using SSH and port forwarding.

I found a software for OS X that gives me the right command:

Code:
ssh -N -p 22 -c 3des -D 1080 admin@server -R 31313/localhost/31313

This works, HOWEVER the remote port forwarding of 31313 does NOT work...

I want my server to listen on port 31313 for connections, and then forward them to my computer.
Anyone know how to do this???

My ISP blocks all incoming connections.

Thanks.

I need to know more about your setup...

What server are you referring to? Is this a remote server somewhere else or on your local network?

SSH uses port 22. Why are you listening on port 31313?

On your local Mac, do you have the firewall enabled in the Sharing Preferences? if so have you added a rule to open the port for ssh to use Port 22?

Are you using a router on your local network? Have you done Port forwarding on it for port 22?

Need this info.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
Well thats not exactly true as SSH is per server its not like email where you have to use a certain port as I use 6022 on my server.

Its a server end change you need to make and before I can tell you how to do that I need to know more about your server.

To be honest though this sounds like your trying to subvert your school's network in which case I do not recommend you do this as your admins can see what you are doing and will probably block you.

antdgar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fixed now. But thanks for the replies.

I just needed to allow GatewayPorts on my linux server, in SSHD_config file.

I am currently in China and their f***ing firewall is screwing me. Can't wait to go back to UK *sigh*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.