Solved Thanks! MacbookPro -changed the inverter-half the screen came back, not fully

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manidhan, Nov 21, 2010.

1. manidhan, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

manidhan macrumors newbie

Hi,

I looked at this forum to find if any other posts exists on this issue. But, I couldn't. It would be great if someone can help me.

The screen in my macbook pro that I bought in early 2007 suddenly doesn't light up. It is out of warranty now. Contacted Apple care about a possible NVIDIA issue. But, no it was not. When I connect an external monitor, the system works just fine, except for the monitor.

Any suggestions please....

Thanks
    Mani

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

your display connector came loose, open it up and bush it back in, it should be located at the top right corner of the logic board.

3. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Is it model A1150/A1211, or A1226/A1260?

Is the video nonexistent on the LCD, or just really dark?

4. manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll try this and let you know of the update.

5. manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

It is A1150 and the video is non-existent. Thanks for the help.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

in that case the connector is located right under/below the right fan, like in this picture
    [​IMG]

7. manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Finally opened up the MBP. The display cable is intact. To make sure, I unplugged it and then replugged it. Still no video. Any other suggestion please....

Is there any power requirement for the screen?...

Thanks
    Mani

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

9. manidhan, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I have not. Reason being that I don't have any other screen, unless I buy it. I saw some one else had a similar problem

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=396179

This is exactly what I have. Initially I did not see anything. But, when I removed my screen cover and showed flash light, I saw a very dull/dark desktop. The above post says that an inverter fixed it. I am going to try that. Any one having a different suggestion, please let me know.

Thanks
    Mani

10. manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help. Will keep it updated.

Mani

11. GumpsterBoy macrumors newbie

I had this issue too. It was much more simple than you have been told about so far.

I found that by sharing the screen from another mac (you can use the monitor) I was able to adjust the brightness setting back up via display settings and all was fine. For some reason the keyboard would not allow me to do this.

12. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The brightness being all the way down doesn't cause a no-video problem. He'd still have video, it would just look like the backlight in the screen and/or inverter were out, with no backlight.

13. manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried this, but it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mani

14. manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

latest update

This is the latest, as of this evening.

The right half of the screen is completely dead. I can't see anything on the right half. The left half, while really dark, still shows the icons when I show flash light. When I tried moving a window across the right half of the screen (that is dead) from the left side, I can see that the window slowly disappear as I move it across.

I am still hoping that it is an inverter problem. Please let me know if you had this experience and anything you did fixed it.

Thanks
    Mani

15. manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

Follow up

Finally, got the inverter in the mail today and fixed it. As I expected, the left half of the screen (which was visible before changing the inverter when I used flash light) became bright. The right half (which was not visible at all earlier i.e., before changing the inverter) is still completely dark.

The funny thing is what I am seeing on the left half is supposed to be on the right side. By this, i mean the clock, the finder and other things that are supposed to be on the right end of the screen start at the middle and I don't see the dock at all.

Basically, the computer is operating as if the right half is not even there and it places all the clock, finder and other things at the center of the screen.

Kind of hard to explain. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks
    Mani

16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I would suggest trying a new LCD. I sell those for $100 shipped, and would be willing to get rid of the no-refunds-after-you-open-it policy if you keep the protector on it so it doesn't get scratched/fingerprinted up, in the case that it doesn't work. This way if it doesn't fix your problem, you're not out $100.

If it still doesn't work, I'd say it's a board issue, but I sincerely doubt that's the case. I have seen a lot of wonky stuff with the LCDs for A1150/A1211 Macbooks where you see half the screen, or see it stretched, weird nonsense like what you descrbe.

17. manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure. That would be great! Thanks. Please let me know how we can do the transaction.

18. manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot. Everything worked fine, once I changed both the inverter and the screen - one at a time. Awesome. My macbook pro is back!

Thanks again guys.
    Mani

19. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Ah success story. The bliss, the joy. Enjoy your rejuvenated macbook pro.

20. manidhan thread starter macrumors newbie

:)