[solved] Trouble with Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by simonjakobsson, Feb 18, 2009.

1. simonjakobsson macrumors newbie

After talking to Apples very brilliant support for 20 minutes, which basically just consisted of repeating myself one gazillion times, I hung up and decided to once again go to the internet for help.

Here's my problem. I recently moved into a new apartment, where you have an ethernet slot built into the wall, and you're supposed to hook up your equipment via an ethernet cable to that slot and have instant internet. To good to be true I thought and plugged in my computer. False, it worked like a charm, got all the information I need using DHCP (DNS-servers, router, subnet mask, ip adress, search domains).

Great! I thought, and I plugged in my Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) into the wall (using the same ethernet cable), I used one cable from the AEBS to my MacBook Pro (MBP) one to the Xbox 360 (360) and I thought I'd use wireless to connect the other computer, a MacBook (MB).

Here's when hell broke loose (well, almost). First of all, I can't get any information to the AEBS using DHCP, why? I have no idea. That of course means that I can't get an internet connection to any of the devices connected to my AEBS (Which is configured to share a public adress).

So I tried some different options and found "Bridge Mode". Let's try this out. And suddently I had internet on the MBP (which again got information from DHCP). The AEBS still didn't get any of it's information from DHCP.

Now I tried getting an internet connection from the AEBS wirelessly. Didn't work, can't get information from DHCP to either the MBP or the MB. But as long as they are connected with ethernet cables it works. How about the 360? No it can't get any information, just like the AEBS, even though it's connected with cables, just like the computers.

I called my ISP, and I can get 4 different IP's at the same time, so bridge mode would work fine, well, if it.. you know.. worked?

So I'm hitting a brick wall.

Simply this is really what I want to do:

option 1: I want to connect the AEBS to the built in ethernet contact. I want the AEBS to get an adress using DHCP and share that connection with everything that is connected to it (using DHCP and NAT from the airport).

option 2: I want the AEBS to function as a switch. So everything connected to it jumps one step ahead and gets the information from the DHCP server that is in the building I live.

Does any of this make any sence to you?

I've spent the last two days trying to work this out, and I can't get it to work. So any information is superusefull.

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Is this the latest and greatest AEBS? If not, you may need a crossover cable.

Are you connecting the Ethernet Cable to the WAN port (one of the left)?

Is the Link LED on the Wan port lit up? Are the lights flashing in error?

*** Forget about the above, it looks like the wired connections are just fine.

I think you may want to read up on Bridge Mode and possibly turn off the distribute IP addresses using the airport utility.

*** Looks like you did the Bridge mode, which is what you need, try turning off the distribute IP addresses.

3. simonjakobsson thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer. At last I (well not really me) figured it out. Called my ISP and they activated the wrong slot. So how I got internet not even them could answer.

Anyway, the finger of blame goes from my AEBS to my ISP.

Also, apology to the apple support, they couldn't possibly have figured this one out. (Although it was wierd to recommend me to send my computer in for reparation).

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Originally, you are probably getting internet via WIFI.

By the way, change the thread title to [solved]

5. simonjakobsson thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, yeah, thanks for the heads-up :)