(SOLVED) Updated to iOS4, now apps don't work

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by KentuckyHouse, Jul 7, 2010.

1. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I finally updated my 3GS to iOS4 last night and I'm really liking the new OS. It was pretty late when I finished, so I didn't get a chance to play with many apps so the problem didn't appear until this morning.

When I'm connected to wifi, apps that need the network to update (Facebook, Twitter, App Store, etc.) work just fine. But if I'm on 3G (as I am at work...no wifi here), the apps just sit there when I open them. The App Store just displays a "loading..." message and does nothing.

Am I missing something or is this a known bug? I did some searching, but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I'd really prefer to not have to restore the phone as the backup alone last night took nearly 2 hours.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

This seems to be a problem that is affecting some people and not others. Turn off 3G and see if those apps work. If so, that's the problem. It seems to happen at random and it might be AT&T. A few days ago 3G barely worked at all for me, now it works nearly all the time. Try turning 3G and/or airplane mode off and on and see if 3G doesn't work after doing that a few times. If not, I'd take it back to Apple and make them show you that it actually works.

3. alakazzam macrumors member

I have been having some strange wifi vs non wifi effects as well. Randomly when not connected to a wifi network the itunes store will not connect. It will always connect when I'm on a wifi network though.

There's also been some very unstable apps on iOS4 I'm guessing this is just on the developers end to work out the bugs that were brought with the new system.

Overall I like iOS4 I just think it's really buggy right now and Apple should get us some sort of bug fixes sooner than later.

4. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Thanks mgamber for the possible fix, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. :(

I'm showing a great 3G signal (of course, this could be because I'm not actually getting the reception it's showing me...lol). I'm trying to exhaust all other fixes before heading to the Apple store, as it's almost 2 hours away.

Any other ideas? Should I just wait until I get home from work and try a restore and set up as new?

5. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

That's the only time I ever saw the problem, when the signal appeared to be great.

In order, I'd do this:
    Turn 3G off and on a few times, see if it does anything.
    Turn airplane mode off and on a few times, see it does anything.
    Turn the phone off and on a few times, see if it does anything.
    Pop the sim card out and place it back in, in case it was poorly seated.
    Restore the system and see if that does anything.

If you go to Apple the first thing they'll probably do is pop the sim card and do a restore, so you may as well do them first if it'll save you a 2 hour drive. If the above doesn't work, then I'd go to Apple and have them either show me it works or replace it.

6. JH- macrumors 6502

You could also try to reset network settings.

7. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Thanks again for your help, mgamber. I'll try all of those and see what happens, but I've got a feeling it's going to take a full restore to fix it. I don't think it's a problem with the phone, per se, I just think something got screwy during the update.

Would you suggest that if I do a restore I set the phone up as new? Just basically start from scratch. I don't really want to have to do that, but if that's what it takes, then that's what I'll do.

And yeah, JH-, I actually tried that today, but no joy. I hated having to do that reset because it erases my home router security key and that thing is a pain to type back in! But, it was worth a shot!

Thanks for the help guys. :)

8. KentuckyHouse thread starter macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

UPDATE:

So, I decided to just go ahead and do a full restore and set the phone up as new when I got home from work. IT WORKED!!! Everything is back to running normally and all my apps are working again. Thank goodness!

I do have to give a HUGE thumbs up to a program I read about on here a few weeks ago for reinstalling my contacts. Once I'd restored the phone and then set it up as new, obviously my contacts were gone. Since I don't use Outlook at home (or any other program to manage my contacts), I used my.memova to get them back on the phone. It worked flawlessly. You just set up an account on their website, sync your contacts to their server, and they're always there. After restoring the phone, I just opened the app, logged in, and hit the sync button and within seconds my contacts were back. Very, very good app and free to boot!

Thanks to everyone that tried to help today. I'm loving iOS4 so far (though I'm missing LockInfo and SBSettings right now), but once they get a good, solid jailbreak out, I'll have them again.

9. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber