[Solved] Windows 7 x64 & MacBook Pro 5,4

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dannymarr, Dec 23, 2009.

1. dannymarr macrumors member

Hi MacRumors community,

I'm having a lot of trouble trying to install Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate on my late-2009 Macbook Pro. When I get to "Expanding Windows Files..." the superdrive spins down and everything freezes at various percentages each time I've tried. I once got to "Finalizing Your Settings" but then the same symptoms happened. Is this normal? I tried installing Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate and it worked fine.

I tried installing Vista Home Premium 64-bit with the hopw of upgrading to Windows 7 but had the same problem.

My specs are.

- Mac OS X 10.6.2
    - Processor: 2.53 GHz
    - RAM: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    - HDD: 500GB WD Scorpio Blue
    - GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    - Boot Camp Assistant: Version 3.01

Thanks for reading this post.

- Dan

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. dannymarr thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately not that simple. I've used that disc to install Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on my family's Nehalem quad-core Mac Pro, my 8-core Mac Pro and an old Dell 5150 with a Pentium 4 3.2GHz. :p

It's not the disc. :(

4. dannymarr thread starter macrumors member

Problem caused by Hard Drive

Figured out the problem. It's something to do with the WD Scorpio Blue hard drive. When I put back the original factory Fujitsu 250GB it worked without a hitch.

The WD Scorpio Blue in question is the WD5000BEVT, 24 Nov 2008. Its history is that I used it for about 9 months in a Sony Vaio SZ before pulling it out and reformatting it.

Has anyone else had this problem with this hard drive? Any recommendations on a quiet 500GB or 1TB hard drive that I can buy for my MBP? Thanks!

5. dannymarr thread starter macrumors member

Hitachi 500GB 5400rpm Travelstar 5K500.B

Decided to go with the Hitachi 500GB 5400rpm Travelstar 5K500.B because it balances power and performance well. :)