SOLVED: Worst experience at apple store -- + i need help with my visual voicemail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joejoejoe, Apr 5, 2008.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Long story short, I got my iPhone replaced and instead of using my old sim the "genius" gave me a new one and I lost everything on my phone.

I was able to get contacts music photos etc back on the new one through my comp, but lost SMS, notes, and everything else.

And my visual voicemail doesn't work. When I click on voicemail it starts dialing instead of giving me the voicemail page. Any help please?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1) Supposedly iTunes will back up everything on the iPhone each time you sync it. It at least says it does during the process, but I've never tried to restore everything. Wouldn't everything be stored on the flash memory instead of on the SIM?

2) You should call someone from Apple or AT&T about the Visual Voicemail thing not working. That's a software glitch somewhere.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

stupid genius, he should have used the same sim card and VVM would work.

i think it has to be reactivated on a new sim again. its what happened to me on o2 when my iPhone stopped wouldnt turn on.. same story went to o2 shop...

idiot insisted that i need a new sim... couldnt use old one... did it... vvm didnt work... called o2 support... reset it on sim... magically worked..

4. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Nothing is saved on your iPhone's SIM card. Everything is synced with iTunes

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I got a new iPhone with my same SIM and still lost all my SMS messages.

6. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

Since it is a new phone, could you not simply restore using your last backup? That would restore all your SMS, email, notes, etc.

Of course:

1. You have already synced (at least) one time since you got your new phone, so your "last" backup may be an image of what is on the new phone, not what was on the old one (the new sync may have created a new backup which overwrote the old one); and

2. I don't know if you can restore a phone with a backup from another phone.

Just a thought, though.

M

7. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

GUYS I FIXED IT!

I restored and I got all these different options for which phone to use. I clicked on one that was synced yesterday at 5:43.

WOOOHOOO!!!

It's in the process of restoring so let's see if everything gets back and if the voicemail works. I'll update in about 5 mins or so.

THANK YOU APPLE!

8. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

CONFIRMED

Everything is back and visual voicemail works!

9. oldimac macrumors regular

The sky's falling, the sky's falling!

Oh, it didn't really fall. :p

10. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

maybe you should rename the thread title out of respect?

11. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

just did.

Let me elaborate a little on what happened.

Dropped my phone and bottom of screen shattered, even though everything still worked fine. I went to a genius who wanted me to dish out 270 for a new phone. My brother insisted on buying a new screen from ebay and swapping it with the old screen -- the swap looked great but then the touch was nonexistent.

Took it to a new genius who told me that now because I tempered with the phone I have to pay 400! I begged the manager to give it to me for 270 and in the end they did.

This is the part that really gets me: the genius tells me that if I had brought my phone to her shattered initially she would've replaced it for free! (the girl sitting next to me had a cracked screen due to a drop as well, and she got hers replaced for free).

So moral of the story: if you drop your iPhone, go from genius to genius to genius until one of them will replace it for free.

P.S. - the speaker on my new iPhone is ridiculously loud

12. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

I meant the title, worst experience part, they did you a favour and they didnt have to yet you come on a forum and call it your worst experience, they dont have to replace any accidentally broken products, and each case is individual but they still reduced the cost for you, surly thats good experience?

13. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, it's still my worst experience. I've never had a genius rub it in my face that I could've had it replaced for free and then proceed to lose all the information on my phone. Yes I salvaged the information but this is my fourth iPhone and its never been this difficult before. It's not a terrible experience, but every time I've gone to the Apple Store before it's been an easy breeze compared to this last time, so yes it's my worst experience.

14. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Your worst experience is having to restore your iPhone by the book and them breaking the rules to replace your iPhone even after you broke the user agreement by trying to repair it yourself.

The only things that weren't done properly were to your benefit. You should be kissing their ass, not crying about it. Whiney and self-centered, what a combo.

15. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, but you think it's proper for a customer to have it rubbed in his face that he could have saved $320 had he gone to the "right" store who likes to bend the rule on accidents but not for people who take the initiative to save $270 by trying to fix things themselves?

you're absolutely right that I overreacted in the beginning. I took out some of my anger on dropping the phone and losing money on Apple. But I still maintain that they shouldn't have treated me with the arrogance I got from them.