Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobbyRond

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
The Hague, The Netherlands
Hey guys,

The past few days I've seen more and more remarks from MacRumors users who are not pleased with the news they are getting through the site.

A few examples:

You are kidding me?

Are we going to get an article on "Apple has a restroom"?

Are we going to have a made up quote from Ive, saying he and Steve "sPent lots of time in the bathroom together?

Arn, please bring the site back from this sort of carp.

A few of us are voicing opinions about the site because of two things.

Firstly, the quality of the articles posted has fallen. Secondly, anything now gets posted as "Front Page" news. There was a time, when only important things made it to the front page. Substantial rumours about a new product. Unlike now however, where everything and anything appears to be posted.

It appears to some of us, we know it is just a few, that the site is no longer about quality but page clicks.

Thank you for finally saying what I've been thinking for a while now.

If Arn is going to post this crap, then he should take down the slogan:

"News and Rumors you care about"

and change it too

"Just something else to get a story up for today."

So the thing I'm wondering, although it's probably a lot of work.

Is it worth thinking about remodeling the homepage in such a way that people can either have the homepage as it is right now or log in and only display the articles that are of interest to them?

This way everybody is happy.

Just a thought...

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Haters gonna hate. You're not going to make them happy; it's not worth trying.

I can't remember the last time I even looked at the front page; I skip right to the forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't think it's worth it either. The front page is 100% public, and no one "logs into" it. While one can log into the forum side, they can hide any forums they don't want to see in the Forum Spy.

I think the front page is fine the way it is and it doing what it should be doing, that is displaying the news/rumors as it happens. There isn't so much going on that I feel one should need to hide certain categories. Some days there isn't anything new posted at all. Therefore, it is easy to quickly find and/or ignore different stories.

As a regular user, I don't spend a lot of time on the front page and usually go right to the forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I don't think it's worth it either. The front page is 100% public, and no one "logs into" it. While one can log into the forum side, they can hide any forums they don't want to see in the Forum Spy.

I think the front page is fine the way it is and it doing what it should be doing, that is displaying the news/rumors as it happens. There isn't so much going on that I feel one should need to hide certain categories. Some days there isn't anything new posted at all. Therefore, it is easy to quickly find and/or ignore different stories.

As a regular user, I don't spend a lot of time on the front page and usually go right to the forums.

Agree.^^^

I usually check out the home page first. Perhaps it is my lack of sophistication, but I am not offend by articles which are of no interest to me - I just don't read them. I'm sure that there are articles that I might find interesting that others might think inappropriate.

Having only been a member for one year (it's my one year anniversary today!!!:D), I cannot comment on changes that have occurred over the years. I enjoy the front page as it is.:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There's a front page? When did this happen? :D

I agree that the OP's recommendation isn't needed. For one thing, it's tough to know what someone is interested in, for purposes of filtering. I may not be generally interested in articles about SSD technology, so I might filter that out. Then I'd miss the article about OWC or Intel giving away free SSDs, which I'd be very interested in. Silly example, I know, but how do you know you're not interested in something until you know what it is? That's what headlines are for. You read the headline and decide if you want to read more. If not, you skip to the next headline. The present system works.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Agree.^^^

I usually check out the home page first. Perhaps it is my lack of sophistication, but I am not offend by articles which are of no interest to me - I just don't read them. I'm sure that there are articles that I might find interesting that others might think inappropriate.

Having only been a member for one year (it's my one year anniversary today!!!:D), I cannot comment on changes that have occurred over the years. I enjoy the front page as it is.:)

Yep. FWIW, the percentage of stuff on MR I skip over is MUCH less than the percentage of stuff on the general internet I skip over.

BobbyRond

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
The Hague, The Netherlands
Looks like you all got a point...

I haven't been a member for this long, but I hadn't seen people criticize the MR posters that way. Criticism is a good thing, but this was just plain being rude. I think it's better to read it and shut up, than being unappreciative. These guys put a lot of work in this site. Maybe that's just the way I was raised... :D

Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Shrink, congrats on your one year anniversary. :)

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I haven't been a member for this long, but I hadn't seen people criticize the MR posters that way. Criticism is a good thing, but this was just plain being rude. I think it's better to read it and shut up, than being unappreciative. These guys put a lot of work in this site. Maybe that's just the way I was raised... :D

Appreciation is so 20th century. :p

As for the front page, Arn and the rest of the group do a respectable job. That's why most of us are here. As for the comments, once behind a screen name, some people lose all civility. Ignore the haters. After you have been here awhile you kinda know who to tune out.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
If raising a personal view on a discussion forum is wrong and rude, then I guess myself and danuff must be.

Although I thought the point of a forum was for people to have views from differing sides of the argument.

Bobby, you think people should just read and shut up? Well that defeats the object of a forum does it not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.